PDA

View Full Version : shallow water snorkel sites

Tony
09-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Hi All,

My wife and I are getting ready to return for our second trip. On the first we did all our snorkeling off of Belnem and by the airport, which was great but most of the coral doesn't appear shallower than about 20 ft. Are there are any sites where the coral comes in closer to shore?

thanks!

Tony & Melissa

gbf
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
lac bay.

long ways to get there, but once you're out there it is great.

TankHalfFull
09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
On our no-dive day, we did some great snorkeling at Alice in Wonderland close to shore.

Rog Karen
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Plaza Resort, just south of The Tipsy Seagull

Tony
09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks all for the tips! Sounds like there are a number of options, and maybe we just need to get out and explore a bit further from homebase -

george and judy
09-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Tony, as a long time snorkeler I strongly recommend you hire Renee of Renee Snorkels for a day. She will take you to some great sites and then you can use these on your own later.

BonnieC
09-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I'll second that about going with Renee. You'll be glad you did.

p.s. Don't forget to post a trip report to tell the rest of us snorkelers where you went.

DeputyDan
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
There are some underwater structures just south of Den Laman that provide for alot of fish.

Bill K
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Tony: I see the answer to your question depending on what you want in a good snorkel site. By all means, do get out and explore. The barrier at Lac Bay is great but a really long trudge. If you want a dead coral barrier with lots of fish, try the yellow building just across from the airport or one of the Andrea sites north of the hotels. For some isolated coral heads with fish, try the southern sites like Invisibles or Margate Bay. For the best, go to Klein with a snorkel tour. Renee is highly recommended. Enjoy.

mar
09-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I took my nephew Matt and his wife Janet with me to Bonaire. In her case, Janet was very nervous about snorkeling where she could not stand - and - being far from the shore. Believe it or not, they absolutely loved all the fish life they saw right off of the sea wall down town. Facing Klein Bonaire - going towards the right - a way from town, we had a wonderful time. Sorry, don't know my north from my south! We then expanded to other sights, but that is where Janet was the most comfortable and we could join her and truly enjoy ourselves being together. Coral a bit beat up, but the fun is finding newly growing (grammar???) coral and other sea life. But the fish was abundant.

BonnieC
09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Mar, Renee took us snorkeling there in town and I was very surprised at all the fish we saw. That would be a very good place to get someone started snorkeling.

Sarah Jane
09-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes, I would also suggest the Plaza for shallow water and marine life. In addition, there is some nice snorkeling in the Sabadeco area (north). If you pick-up a map from a local dive shop, you will see the places to go.

Have fun.

Gardener
10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
We recommend the following two sites: Tori's Reef - which is south of the airport. We spent over an hour there in shallow water (very easy entry!) and we "played" with a pair of squid that constantly changed colours and saw lots of cute small fish.

The second site is in the big national park at the north end of the island. It is called Wayaka II. This site requires a long drive in the park, as it is not very far from the exit (you can only travel in the park in one direction) however it is an amazing place with a small pure sand beach and fish that are ridiculously tame and will come and meet you when you are only knee deep in the water.

BonnieC
10-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Gardener, what's the best entry to snorkel Tori's reef now that the channel is no longer open? That used to be one of our favorite easy entries and we were disappointed last Feb. to see it changed. We never did figure out what it was they were doing to that site.

kob
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
We've also seen people snorkeling regularly at Tolo when we dive there. There is a reasonably nice beach area and picnic tables as well.

snorkeling vet
10-15-2011, 12:37 AM
We snorkeled Tori's Reef last week and the channel was open and had a very easy access. This was our first time so I don't know what it was like before but we just sat on the rocks on the edge and then snorkeled out of the channel.