PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Container/ Crate

Matt
08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello to everyone!

I spoke with AMCAR in Miami just now. Their smallest unit is 20'L X 8'W X 8'H. That's way bigger than I was thinking. Does anyone know how to ship a 'box', that would be, say, 8'L X 4'W X 4'H? Maybe smaller...

Will I need to try UPS or FEDEX? I am not bringing any furniture, rather, just need a few kitchen items, bicycle, and possibly some bedding, etc.

Any ideas?:)

Thanks and talk to you soon,

ruth
08-29-2011, 05:33 PM
They quoted you for an entire 20-foot container (which is not unusual for folks moving here). You need to speak with them again, and be specific about how much you are shipping--do not ask them for a container quote. Your stuff needs to go in the shared container space. The more specific you are about actual sizes, the more accurate their quote can be.

Matt
08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Hello Ruth,;)

I did just that, specifically telling her what items I'd ship. (Kitchen knives, some bedding, bicycle, etc.).

I asked about smaller containers; "don't have". She gave me per cubic foot price. I am not shipping a LTL of corn or bales of Peat Moss! ;>

Thanks. I may re-evaluate what I actually need to go, and see if FEDex, (or similar) is a decent way to go. You're a charm. Thanks again,
Peace,
Matt

PS I'll let you know.

ruth
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Nooooo....they don't care what you're shipping (unless it's HAZMAT)--you need to tell them the size of the boxes & the weight if you want an accurate price. I can guarantee you Amcar will be less than Fedex. I ship business and personal items from the US to BON this way every 4-6 weeks (since the 90s) -weight & volume is all that matters. There's nothing smaller than a 20' container, that's why you use the space in the shared container, and it is charged per cube. You are in fact shipping LTL if you're moving here but don't need a full container.