PDA

View Full Version : Delta Flight from New England

sconsetscuba
08-28-2011, 11:40 AM
We are flying from Bradley Field in Ct. on Sept. 17th and making the connection to Bonaire thru Atlanta. We have done that short lay over many, many times without any problem. Our last trip was in April and we got right off our flight and just walked across the concourse to get the connecting flight. In the years past we had to take the tram. Does anyone know if the connection is still right across the concourse or was it moved again?

Sandy
:cool:

Gmichael
08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
It has been a long time since I heard it called Bradley Field! Some facts: Bradley International Airport
From Wikipedia(View original Wikipedia Article) Last modified on 28 August 2011, at 13:55
"BDL" redirects here. For the beer distributor, see Brewers' Distributor Ltd..
For the Tom Bradley International Terminal, see Los Angeles International Airport.
Bradley International Airport
Bradley INTL Logo.svg
IATA: BDL – ICAO: KBDL – FAA LID: BDL
BDL is located in Connecticut
{{{alt}}}
BDL
Location of the Bradley International Airport
Summary
Airport type Public
Owner State of Connecticut
Operator Connecticut Airport Authority
Serves Hartford, Connecticut & Springfield, Massachusetts
Location Windsor Locks, Connecticut / Hartford County, Connecticut
Hub for UPS Airlines
Elevation AMSL 173 ft / 53 m
Coordinates 41°56′20″N 72°41′0″W
Website BradleyAirport.com
Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
6/24 9,510 2,899 Asphalt
15/33 6,847 2,087 Asphalt
1/19 4,268 1,301 Asphalt
Statistics (Total Passengers)
2010 5,380,987
2009 5,317,352
2008 6,058,398
2007 6,519,181

See: Bradley Air National Guard Base for the United States Air Force use of the airport

Bradley International Airport (IATA: BDL, ICAO: KBDL, FAA LID: BDL) is a joint civil-military public airport located in Windsor Locks on the border with East Granby and Suffield, in Hartford County, Connecticut, United States. It is owned by the State of Connecticut.[1]

The airport is situated in the towns of Windsor Locks, Suffield and East Granby, about halfway between Hartford and Springfield. It is Connecticut's busiest commercial airport with 350 daily operations, and the second-busiest airport in New England after Boston's Logan International Airport.[2] The three largest carriers at Bradley International Airport are Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines and US Airways with market shares of 25.8%, 20.5%, and 9.0% respectively.[3] Continental Airlines and United Airlines, which are owned by the same company, have a combined market share of about 15%.[4] As a dual-use military facility with the U.S. Air Force, the airport is also home to Bradley Air National Guard Base and the 103d Airlift Wing (103 AW) of the Connecticut Air National Guard.

In 2008, Bradley was ranked the 55th busiest airport in the United States by number of passengers enplaned.[5] Bradley is branded as the "Gateway to New England" and is also home to the New England Air Museum.

The now defunct Bradlees department store chain was named after the airport, when investors held a meeting there. [6]

Table of Contents
1 History
1.1 World War II
1.2 Up to date
2 Passenger, cargo, and military operations
2.1 Airlines and destinations
2.2 Top Destinations
2.3 Cargo operations
2.4 Military operations
3 Future
3.1 Airport construction
3.2 New service
4 International Arrivals Building
5 Ground transportation
5.1 Rail
5.2 Bus
6 Environment
7 Incidents and accidents
8 See also
9 References
10 External links

History
World War II

Bradley has its origins in the 1940 acquisition of 1,700 acres (690 ha) of land in Windsor Locks by the State of Connecticut. In 1941 this land was turned over to the U. S. Army, as the country began its preparations for the impending war.[7]

Less than a year after the Army assumed control, the field at Windsor Locks had its first fatality. Among those assigned to duty in Windsor Locks was the young Lt. Eugene M. Bradley of Antlers, Oklahoma. While participating in a training drill, Lt. Bradley's P-40 crashed on August 21, 1941. Following a funeral at Talarski Funeral Home in Hartford, Lt. Bradley's remains were interred in the national cemetery in San Antonio, Texas.

After a groundswell of sentiment in favor of naming the airfield in Windsor Locks in honor of the airman, the airfield was renamed Army Air Base, Bradley Field, Connecticut on January 20, 1942. The airfield was used by the First Air Force primarily as a group training airfield for single-engine P-47 Thunderbolt fighter groups, which obtained their new aircraft from the Republic production plant on Long Island prior to their deployment to overseas combat theaters.
The present name is Bradley International Airport.

Neptune Nick
08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi there-
Unsure about the flight originating from New England area, but in June of this year our flight coming out of Baltimore and the connecting flight to Bonaire was literally at opposite ends of the airport. Had to use the tram but still made it to the flight and was happy to see our baggage did too.

Enjoy your trip. :)

sconsetscuba
08-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Gmichael:

I am well aware of the history of "Bradley Field" and worked at the said Army Barracks in Windsor when it was under the Department of Corrections serving low level 1 and 2 inmates for DUI's. It has since been returned to the Army again. That is probably why I keep calling it Bradley Field. As I look over into the sky from my now present location and extended work place at the Maximum Security Prison in Suffield, Ct. known as MacDougall, I still call Bradley International Airport....................Bradley Field. Thank you for your generous hisory lesson but you didn't answer my question so if anyone does fly out of Bradley International Airport in Windsor, Ct. could you answer?

Sandy:D

wwguy
08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
We are flying from Bradley Field in Ct. on Sept. 17th and making the connection to Bonaire thru Atlanta. We have done that short lay over many, many times without any problem. Our last trip was in April and we got right off our flight and just walked across the concourse to get the connecting flight. In the years past we had to take the tram. Does anyone know if the connection is still right across the concourse or was it moved again?

Sandy
:cool:

Hi Sandy,

I don't fly out of BDL, but I fly Delta a lot. (I've been on 60+ Delta flights in North America already this year.) It's been my experience that Delta assigns airport gates in their hub cities (ATL, MSP, SLC, MEM) for each flight based on airport load and gate availability. I fly the same flights regularly and often find them arriving and departing at different gates from week to week.

You can visit Delta.com and enter your flight numbers into the Flight Status page to check gate assignments within a few days of the flight. Even with this short notice I find that the gate numbers often change.

The safe bet is to plan for the short tram ride and call it good luck if you find both flights in the same concourse.

Enjoy your trip! :)

diverdebbi
08-30-2011, 06:15 PM
We have flown the Hartford,CT..Atlanta..Curaçao..Bonaire connection many times. Bonaire is never easy to get to ! Last few times the long tram ride was involved..make sure you have plenty of connection time. One year we even stayed overnite in Atlanta becuz under an hour connect time...it was worth the price of a room on Priceline to not worry in the winter weather...but Sept not so much an issue...good luck and safe diving