PDA

View Full Version : Electricity

CindyJay
08-28-2011, 07:55 AM
So we arrived last night! :DWoohoo......now we are dreaming of waking up here everyday. Hubby wants to know how much electricity is per kwh? I searched around but couldn't find a current answer. thanks!

Cindy

susan
08-28-2011, 08:23 AM
A friend recently told me he figured out to be 32 cents per kilowatt hour, which, according to him, is twice the cost of the most expensive electric in the U.S.

ruth
08-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Yup, $0.32/kwh private & $0.36/kwh commercial.

alevcrab
04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
This is a question regarding electricity but different than what was on this thread. Still seemed like the most appropriate place to pose the question:

We are moving to Bonaire and know that the power is 127v and 50hz. I have a US based flex shaft that runs at 115v, 60hz, 1.7amps, max rpm of 18,000. I am trying to figure out what sort of a converter I would need to buy in US so that I can use this flex shaft when I get there. Given that this is basically an engine for manual work, the exact electricity match is important (unlike the situation with computers that have universal power supplies).

Any ideas?

ModCecil
04-13-2014, 07:30 PM
That's a tough one, if you just connect it, will run slow and draw more current. Bad on both counts. You might be better served going by way of DC, convert the bad electricity to DC 12 volts then with an inverter take it back to 110 Volt 60 Hertz. That is a big bunking inverter, a quick goggle search yields a 2kw inverter for $400.

ruth
04-14-2014, 04:31 AM
Buy an "export" model of the motor in 220/50/1 (or buy the entire thing in 220/50). We have 220/50 on all of our commercial equipment, (and even 220/50/3 phase on some of our larger equipment at KFC, but you need special permit for 3 phase-that's not usual for a residence). The 50 hz kills 60hz motors with a slow death-and, IMO, no matter what it states, there is no such thing as a 50/60 motor. The spikes to 140v-ish also suck...so don't expect larger home appliances to last like they would in the US. You can get a good 5-8 years out of a fridge or washer, but not much more, in my experience, as long as you have individual transformers on them (you can buy those here), knocking them back to 100v (I've seen spikes as high as 140v+). We have our entire house on a transformer, but the washer & refrigerator have additional ones (23 years...4 washers, 3 dryers & 3 refrigerators). We also use those ground circuit breakers like you'd use on heavy tools at home (forget exact name) on almost everything--especially TVs/computers, so at least if the power does go off, when it comes back on (aka when it spikes), we wait till the power seems like it's going to stay on smoothly, then put each of those back on when it's "safe."

And lately, re: costs--we always have 2 split 18,000 BTU a/c's on during the day, and 1 at night. I do about 5-6 loads of wash/week-there are 2 of us. We have I believe a usual amount of lamps, TVs, 1 fridge, washer, dryer (motor is electric/heat is gas), vacuum cleaner, some ceiling fans & 1 small microwave, etc. Our home electricity bill is in the $900/m range (and KFC's is about $6-7k/m). Ouch.

DiverVince
04-14-2014, 05:45 AM
So much for the windmills lowering the cost of electricity! From my observations, the cost of electric has increased over the last several years.

ModCecil
04-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Wow Ruth, that pretty much sucks on all levels, it's nice to see the unreliable power is made up for by charging outrageous prices for it. It's also nice to see them encouraging self generation, NOT. :(

antennariidae
04-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6oWPXeBW_Y

Also another article:

http://nostsiliconvalley.org/2014/02/17/sustainability-in-the-dutch-caribbean-hawaii-can-small-island-nations-become-energy-independent/

DiverVince
04-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for posting that interesting video. However from my own personal perspective, the cost of electricity on Bonaire is a disaster; whether it's the fault of Ecopower, WEB or the politicians. And from what I see, generally speaking, the tourists really don't care and crank up the aircos to obscene temps. I mean why bother going to the Caribbean if you need to put aircos on 62 degrees F and leave the doors opened at the same time? We have now been forced to put limitations on electric usage to our guests after having experienced some months of plus $700 month on a small 2 bedroom apartment. Completely outrageous.

antennariidae
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting that interesting video. However from my own personal perspective, the cost of electricity on Bonaire is a disaster; whether it's the fault of Ecopower, WEB or the politicians. And from what I see, generally speaking, the tourists really don't care and crank up the aircos to obscene temps. I mean why bother going to the Caribbean if you need to put aircos on 62 degrees F and leave the doors opened at the same time? We have now been forced to put limitations on electric usage to our guests after having experienced some months of plus $700 month on a small 2 bedroom apartment. Completely outrageous.

How do you enforce the limit? How do people know how much electricity they're using while they are there? Or is it mostly to just to put guests on notice?

Bob T
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Mornin Everybody. I hope you didn't get any snow like we had last night. I sent an email to Eco power company about a wind turbine that's relatively new. Never got a reply but that's OK. They have in Europe a turbine with photo voltaic cells on it to generate twice the power when it has sunlight on it. I'm not sure the cost factor or what scale of size of turbine can be made for a residential concept. But maybe check out this idea. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Wind+Turbine+Blades+Covered+With+Photovoltaic+Cells&btnG=Google+Search

alevcrab
04-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Ruth & ModCecil - thank you for the detailed information. What is "KFC" (is there a Kentucky Fried Chicken there?) :)

We are not bringing any major household appliances such as washer/dryer as we will rent a place. The tool I am talking about is a 'manual flex shaft' for drilling/polishing etc for my metalsmithing/jewelry making hobby that I want to continue while I am there. So, it is not a commercial equipment. My main take away from your response is "50 hz kills 60hz motors with a slow death".
Just to clarify: Is there a converter in Bonaire that I can buy that allows me to use the "115 volts, 60hz tool" with the 127 volts and 50hz coming from the wall in Bonaire?

kob
04-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Ruth owns the KFC franchise on Bonaire

ruth
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
The answer is no--while you can fool with the voltage a bit, hz cannot be changed (and if a motor states it's 50/60hz, that's bull****). If you use this a lot, buy an extra for when the first one burns out, or find one in 220/50.

wwguy
04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Here's an internet article (http://electricaloutlet.org/frequency) that summarizes the problem of running a 60Hz motor on a 50Hz supply.

It sounds like this is a relatively small motor. The ideal solution would be to replace the 60Hz motor with a 50Hz equivalent before moving to Bonaire. If the manufacturer is global they may have 50 Hz motors.

A workaround might be to purchase a 12 volt DC deep cycle marine battery and charger on Bonaire, and then connect it to any of a variety of DC-to-AC inverters available for running 120 volt 60 Hz appliances from 12 VDC batteries.

A last-ditch solution would be to purchase a step-down transformer to drop 127 volt 50 Hz down to xx volt 50 Hz, where "xx" to 50 Hz ratio is equivalent to the nameplate voltage to 60 Hz ratio of the original motor. There's energy and efficiency loss here when running 120 v 60 Hz motor on this supply, but at least the voltage:frequency ratio is maintained.

alevcrab
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you all for the information. I will probably just by the 220v/50hz version of the engine before coming to Bonaire or order it after we move there.

Kob - thanks for the KFC clarification :)

ModCecil
04-22-2014, 06:18 PM
I keep thinking about this problem and it still seems like going through DC and back to 60 cycle would solve a host of problems and would pay for itself pretty quickly with saved refrigerators, power supplies and any other small motors. It does not look too expensive maybe $1,000 for 2kw. Since it is all solid state it should last forever. Just a thought.

DiverVince
04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
How do you enforce the limit? How do people know how much electricity they're using while they are there? Or is it mostly to just to put guests on notice?
That's relatively simple. Every residence/apartment has a meter. Simply take a reading before a guest arrives and one at check out. You can then determine how many kw hours used and multiply by the charge per kw hour.

antennariidae
04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
That's relatively simple. Every residence/apartment has a meter. Simply take a reading before a guest arrives and one at check out. You can then determine how many kw hours used and multiply by the charge per kw hour.

I sorta figured that part out. I was more interested in how a guest would know how much they are using so as not to be "surprised" by a charge at the end of their stay. But maybe if they have to ask, they are already using too much!

DiverVince
04-24-2014, 05:47 AM
I sorta figured that part out. I was more interested in how a guest would know how much they are using so as not to be "surprised" by a charge at the end of their stay. But maybe if they have to ask, they are already using too much!
Simple, use the same technique. Have the guest locate the meter when they arrive (ours is clearly marked) and take a kw reading. Check the reading number when they check out or during the week.