PDA

View Full Version : Do I want to use Travelers Checks?

dyan
08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm coming to Bonaire for the first time in October. I've been told that theft is a problem. This being the case, do I want to try to buy travelers checks? Are they easy to cash on Bonaire? I was on Cozumel last Feb. and couldn't cash them anywhere! If theft is a problem I don't want to have a lot of cash in the room. And if travelers checks are difficult to cash (and they are hard to buy) I don't want that either. What does everyone else do?

Thanks for your input.

grunt
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I just go to an ATM at a bank as needed.

dyan
08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Don't the ATM's charge fees for withdrawing cash?

Barbara "CB" Gibson
08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes, they charge a fee. How much? I forget. whatever it is, it's worth it for the convenience, as far as I'm concerned....very easy and reliable...

ronindiana
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Credit Cards work as well, but I bring cash and use my safe in the aprtment.

dyan
08-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Do most places accept credit cards?

ronindiana
08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, most CC are good on Bonaire...

dyan
08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

PeterO
08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Whenever I bring traveler cheques I cash them at the bank with no problems. I make sure to bring my passport as ID.

Don't know if it matters that I have an account with this bank. I've cashed TC there without mentioning such account.

susan
08-28-2011, 08:19 AM
As far as credit cards go, most establishments accept Visa, MasterCard, and some Discover. Fewer accept American Express. Just so you are ready.......

petri hausmann
08-28-2011, 09:07 AM
the fee at the MCB ATM's for a cash transaction is $3.00....

Sparty
09-10-2011, 09:10 PM
We take traveler's checks and cash 4-5 hundred at time at the local bank. Way cheaper than using ATM's or credit cards that charge a foreign transaction fee.

jkehnle
09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I agree with many of the other posters. We carry cash and credit cards only. We've discovered that in the past few years Travelers Cheques are not universally accepted. Last time I checked, they also cost an arm and a leg.

Every place we have stayed has a secure safe in the room, and we leave cash there and carry only what we need. Every place we've eaten (with the possible exception of the diner at Jibe City) welcomes my credit card.

At the resort, I put all meals, beverages, dive trips, etc. on the room tab, knowing that the money is in the bank to cover the credit card bill when I get home. That substantially reduces the need for cash -- tips and incidentals primarily. Dinners away from the resort, a trip or two on the Woodwind, also go on the credit card.

BTW -- while working at the bank, I learned that the Travelers Cheque outfits make their money three ways: 1. Charging you a fee (I've seen as much as $8 per $1,000) up front for the privilege of using the checks; 2. People generally buy their checks 3-5 days before using them, so they get to invest your money for their benefit before paying out a dime; 3. Most people forget to cash in that last unused check or two when they return home...kinda like spending only $42.50 of the $50.00 total on that Borders gift card Aunt Esther bought you for your Bar Mitzvah, and then sticking it in a drawer and forgetting it. Borders says, "Thanks for the $7.50!" Is America a great town or what?!?! :eek::cool::D

BonnieC
09-11-2011, 08:27 AM
We bring some travellers checks. Mostly, I think, from a habit developed 20 years ago when there were only a few ATMs on the island and those were not totally reliable. We get the checks without big fees from our credit union and cash them at the M&C bank on Bonaire with no problem. However, I do think anyone would be fine using just credit cards and ATM withdrawals.

parachute
09-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Whenever I bring traveler cheques I cash them at the bank with no problems. I make sure to bring my passport as ID.

Don't know if it matters that I have an account with this bank. I've cashed TC there without mentioning such account.

Peter,

Since you have an account with that bank, would you be able to make withdrawals/deposits from your US account there?

parachute
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
If you have AAA membership, there are no fees for getting travellers checks there. I believe they are AmEx checks.

DiverVince
09-12-2011, 11:46 AM
No brainer..Cash,credit cards and ATMs are the way to go.
Traveler's checks are so anachronistic. (IMHO). ;)