PDA

View Full Version : Diving the park

Tom
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm interested in doing 2-3 dives in the park + a picnic on the "beach" when I am down there in a month or so.

I have a couple questions:

1. Preferred park dives?
2. Best dives to do in a given order to facilitate getting around?
3. Preferred little sandy beach within the park? Possibly in the context of number 2?

Hard to figure it out from google maps + the park webpage!

Thanks,
-Tom

Tom
08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I toyed with posting this in the diving forum - but my question is really more about the getting around, so I went this way! ;)

smits
08-26-2011, 01:46 AM
To answer all your questions: Wayaka II

petri hausmann
08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
why do go all the fuss of preparing a picnic? there is a lovely and very good restaurant /bar seaside at Slaagbai! a beautiful place for lunch.... at the gate when you buy your entrance to the park .. discuss your plans with the rangers .. they can tell you what is the best ...

smits
08-26-2011, 07:31 AM
I always go early (at the opening of the park) and I'm having my picnic breakfast at one of the first beaches.

As a refresher for the Washington park
http://www.washingtonparkbonaire.org/admission.html

a) go early (08:00 am at opening). Bring you marine tag, your white receipt and a photo ID.
b) bring at least 2 liters of water. (I always bring 4 liters extra to rinse myself after diving/snorkeling)
c) first beach: Playa chikitu (not boca), high waves, stay in the center, not deeper than your waist. Canadian boy drowned there.
d) we do the museum at the end, doing as many things as possible in the "cool" morning. Don't skip it. Cold drinks are available at the shop :-)
e) stop at dos pos and walk all the way down the road until you find some water. Get close to the water. Bring an apple or a piece of bread. Wait for maybe 5 minutes and if you are lucky you'll get a bunch of big iguanas you can feed some pieces of apple

e) Wayaka 2 is the best place for snorkel/dive. Big midnight parrot fish.
f) Slagbaai has a restaurant. If you go snorkeling there, I've heard there are some canons underwater at the left hand side

Cecil
08-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Tom. This question has been asked before and from my readings of the answers, yes, you can do it and the diving is good, but why would you? The diving is not that much better and it carries a lot more risk. The worse risk is the time required to get help or to get out in an emergency. Like I said this is just my impression from previous answers.

Now snorkeling in the park seems to be a much better option, less risk and some premo snorkeling.

petri hausmann
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

ModFreddie
08-26-2011, 08:06 AM
I am thinking that Tom the OP is talking about "the Park" being the whole marine Park..... there is really not alot of sand on the beach anywhere...very much an iron shore... where appropriate footwear, hard soled booties... anywhere for a picnic would be nice..Just choose your divesite and have your picnic during your surface interval from diving or when you are drying out from being water logged while snorkeling :)

susan
08-26-2011, 08:25 AM
FYI, Dos Pos is not in Washington Park, but I think Smits mean Pos Mangel (Candy Water). That would be in line with the route he outlined, and also is known for the iguanas.

smits
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
@ Susan, you are absolutely right. I even have a picture of the sign: pos mangel

Tom
08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the input. I was in fact talking about checking out some of the dive sites out of Washington Slagbaai National Park, and combining that with some time on one of the little sandy "almost beaches".

alaskadiver
09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
The beach toward the end-Slagbaai (sp?) has a nice little beach. The diving there is very easy and relaxing. Several trees with shade too. This is the one with the little shop and expensive snacks :-) Take your own!

I really enjoyed the dives in the park. Some of the entries were a little more involved/challenging than the ones outside the park but they were fun to do. The road is rough but you just take it reasonably slow and you won't damage the truck. It's not as bad as people say. I plan to go back on our next trip in a few months.

Tom
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
In case anyone else is after the same plan: All the dive sites are pretty well strung along the road, no issue just stopping wherever and getting in!

We dove Boca Bartol first. This was a great dive, although a comparatively long swim out. The channel is pretty neat however, nice reef on the side. Strong current, not however unmanageable, and made for a nice drive back. We saw about 5 sting rays, which was great, even a large one swimming over the reef.

For the next dive we hit Wayaca II which had a nice beach for relaxing and swimming. This dive was also quite good, nice reef, lots of life, including the Bonarian Box Jelly. This would be a great place to bring non divers.

We then stopped for some delicious goat stew at the restaurant, well worth it.

Definitely a recommended day trip!

kob
10-15-2011, 12:00 AM
If you go to Slagbaai to dive, be sure to bring snacks for the iguanas. At every site, as you are changing tanks or having a little lunch/surface interval, you will have plenty of time to play with them. They really like grapes and chunks of apple. If you are daring, you can hold a grape at your waist and some of the iguanas will climb your leg to get the grape ... best done with your wetsuit still on !! :D