PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Dive Friends

Sirto
08-06-2011, 07:51 PM
We just spent two weeks in Bonaire and rented tanks from Dive Friends. We've rented from them three times before always with good results.

This time they had problems getting things done properly. First, the nitrox concentration ranged between 27 -30%, never close to 32%. This was the same situation at three different locations so it wasn't an analyzer error. The log sheets show that the low nitrox percentage was the same on all tanks that people signed out.

Second, fully 1/3 of the tanks we checked were under pressure (2000 - 2400 psi) and one was completely empty though I'll assume the valve on that tank must have been leaking.

When notified of these problems they made excuses rather than saying they'd remedy the situation.

scubaliz
08-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Sadly, I had a similar experience with them in June. Really nice staff and conveniently located, but the tanks were usually short fills and the nitrox was barely 30% (and that was if I got lucky).

Bummer.

Stewart K
08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I have been using Dive Friends now for several years. Ocassionally a tank is short filled for usually a leaking valve or not fully closed when moving it to storage. But they have more then one check guage for you to use before you take the tank away and they always remedy the situation either a different tank or top off the one you have. I have seen divers bring back tanks that were empty and leave the valve cover on it and put it in the wrong location for fills. So it isn't always the staff making problems but they will do their best to satisfy every customer. One of the best dive operations on the island.:)

TankHalfFull
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
We've used them numerous times, and noted their generous fills. Once in awhile, you do wind up with a tank that hasn't been refilled, but that is unusual.
What locations seemed deficient? Port Bonaire is our primary site.

Bas Tol
08-08-2011, 09:54 AM
The facility at Port Bonaire does not fill tanks anymore :-( We used to get great fills from there... all around 32.5% and a nice 32-3300PSI fill. All of the filling is done at Yellow Sub now. Last few months the fills have been marginal and with only 30%. When some of my clients complained about it, the compressor was adjusted and we got 32% fills.... for about a week and then it was turned back down to 30%. I have been wondering why that is? They have a nitrox compressor that makes its own oxigen so it's not like they have to buy the expensive oxigen in the large green cylinders.

Sirto
08-08-2011, 10:33 AM
We've used them numerous times, and noted their generous fills. Once in awhile, you do wind up with a tank that hasn't been refilled, but that is unusual.
What locations seemed deficient? Port Bonaire is our primary site.
Please read what I said. We used them numerous times before and they did have good fills before. This time, as I said, at least 1/3 of the tanks were under pressure. Their comment when this was pointed out was "we only need to fill to 2500 psi" (and they weren't even doing that).

We got tanks at Port Bonaire and Hamlet with the same issues.

I just noticed the irony of your screen name.

Cecil
08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Bas I suspect a membrane system would require more electricity for higher percentages of O2. Speculation on my part but probably correct.

TankHalfFull
08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow, it might be time to switch dive ops!

Yes, Sirto, my screen name is meant to remind myself to keep an attitude of thanksgiving (like cup half-full instead of half-empty!) It is a little ironic for this post.

Bas Tol
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Could be, Cecil. Maybe they can fill more tanks in shorter time as they now have a very large number of tanks to fill at just one station. (losing customers to other dive ops will save them even more electricity....) Too bad they removed the compressors at Port Bonaire. I was really liking their good fills. From my expereince they had the best nitrox fills around, and I use it all too!! Also, never had problems with stinky air from the port bonaire location....
Been thinking about switching to other dive op but do not know where they would give me a nice 32-3300 psi fill at 32% for the same price. Everywhere tanks are filled to just acceptable. I could use my 100cft tanks but that's not the reason I have those too! Could be I'm spoiled :-)

Carolyn
08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi Sirto,
I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't happy with our services. I promise to make sure that nobody tells a guest that 2500 is an acceptable fill ever again. With regards to the low fills/percentage, I hope that we didn't cut into your bottom time because we were having problems.
By way of explanation, we needed to re-locate both our air and nitrox compressors from one side of Port Bonaire to the other. In the meantime, we are filling tanks for our other locations with the compressors at our Yellow Submarine location. It's apparent that during your visit, quantity was getting in the way of quality and we can't allow that!
The compressors at Port Bonaire should be up and running again very, very soon.
In the future, please drop me a line on info@dive-friends-bonaire.com (info@dive-friends-bonaire.com) if you have any feedback or questions...and that goes to all of you!
Best regards,
Carolyn Caporusso for Dive Friends Bonaire

OneTScot
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Nice of you to Personally Address the situation Carolyn. New Customers are hard to get as you understand much easier to keep Current ones.

michaeto
08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
We just got back Sunday and used Dive Friends at the Hamlet. The analyzer there never worked so we got our tanks at the Yellow Sub. Out of 30 tanks just one was short. All tested between 30 - 31.3.