PDA

View Full Version : Diving Salt Pier

Erik
07-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi everybody.

My last trip to Bonaire was long ago, 2006.
Back then our group wanted to dive Salt Pier but were told that a permit was needed and accomanied by a dive guide. We didn't dive then buring our stay, but was wondering if permissions have changed to dive Salt Pier.

I will be on island 27th Sep till 6 Oct with a group of 6 and I would love to dive Salt Pier. On one of my eralier trips (was there to in 2003 and 2005), Salt Pier was free to dive and made a night dive which was awsome with several tarpon feeding on a huge bait ball.
I was hoping to show this event to my group when we are diving.

Thanks.

Rog Karen
07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi Eric,
You still need permission and still need to sign up with your dive shop and dive it with a dive master/guide...

BGW
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Some say you need a permit, some say you don't.......The last two times I was in Bonaire I saw people diving the pier during the day and night, and it obvious that there was no divemaster with them.....

Just saying.....!!!

tursiops
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Of course you can dive it without a permit or guide.
And of course you'd be willing to take any consequences that might result.
"Diving freedom."

Erik
07-29-2011, 06:05 AM
From all your replies, I understand it is best to ask the local dive operator (we will be diving with Wannadive), about the situation to avoid any nasty consequences.

kob
07-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Erik -- you should check with Wanndive (or whoever you're diving with) to be certain, but I thought we had a thread on this subject on the old BT1 and for some reason I recall that the "no diving without a DM" restriction had been removed for Salt Pier last fall.

I dunno, maybe just my old faulty memory. :o

Can anyone on island confirm? Will be there in about 6 weeks, so good to get the facts.

petri hausmann
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
the salt pier is under the jurisdiction of Cargill Salt .. so it would be wise to check with them at the office there .. as of 9/11 it is considered a international protected port .. would you not be diving with permission the consequences are heavy.. . it takes no more than 2 minutes to check .. the Cargill people are very cooperative .. and you would get to meet bonaire's Mama Smile.. who is our tourist ambassador and the office manager .. plus you would get some salt souvenirs and maybe a mini tour ..

petri hausmann
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
forgot to mention .. no wet suits, swim suits are permitted in the office.. don't dress inappropriately

stretch
07-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Just wondering where the Cargil Office is located ? We are thinking that
it is straight east from the salt pier dive site. Thanks !

Tink
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Some say you need a permit, some say you don't.......The last two times I was in Bonaire I saw people diving the pier during the day and night, and it obvious that there was no divemaster with them.....

Just saying.....!!!

What was so obvious that there was no divemaster with them? I've dove Salt Pier a few times in the past with Ebby, or Blennylips, so there were only 3 or 4 of us. Probably didn't look like we had a "dm" with us, but we did as they got the permits from the Harbor Master.

That said, has it changed and you need to check in with Cargil and not the Harbor Master? It sure would be nice to know the skinny on the situation.

jmason
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
are both salt and town open for diving? when i was there last year the word was that the government was setting up new rules and they would be open soon.

also, what is going on with the lionfish-did the government ever give dive masters permission to hunt them?

john:cool:

Tink
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
also, what is going on with the lionfish-did the government ever give dive masters permission to hunt them?

john:cool:

John, there are a couple of threads re: the lionfish situation, go here:

http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=295