PDA

View Full Version : Damage on Andrea dive sites?

Sirto
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I saw something recently that indicated that one of the Andrea sites still has a lot of coral damage from the last huricane. I think they were talking about Andrea I but could be wrong.

Can someone confirm or refute that information?

We're on our way soon. Arriving Sunday am!!!

fraserfraser
07-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Sirto,
Was there end of June and all I can say is very disappointed in Andrea2 dive. 1000 steps,oil slick,karparta,tolo all much better. easily andrea was worse dive of week atleast IMHO. still seems like it was hit hard by last major storm.

tursiops
07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
We dove Andrea 2 the day after the 2008 storm (Omar). It looked like it had 6 inches of snow on it from near surface to past 80 feet. We dove it again in March 2011. Much better, but still noticeably affected. Oil Slick, however, was completely devastated in the shallows and there is nothing there to recover. It will have to start over again with new coral growth; I look forward to diving it again in 50 years (when I'm 120!) to see how it is doing.

Fid
07-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Lucky for Mel....... only the good die young. You will almost certainly be around 50 years from now Mel.......

huskerscott
09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
We are in the villa directly above Andrea 1. This is our first visit to Bonaire so can't offer a comparison to previous conditions. I consider it a very good shore dive (many prior trips to Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas, Fla Keys, used to live on Oahu, etc). I didn't notice the prior storm related conditions described earlier in this thread.

Just a word of warning for those who may be reading and have not yet been to Andrea 1; the entrance/exit can be tricky. Go to the large yellow painted rock at the waterline, and pick your footing carefully. In our experience, attempting entrance or exit any other place was dicey at best.