PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a bank letter?

jeff
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
My wife and I are trying to set up home loan financing and a bank account on Bonaire and one of the requirements is that we have a reference letter from our current USA bank. Well, my wife went to our bank, Chase, today and they said they have no such thing and can only send letters selected from their list of form letters - and a reference letter isn't one of them, nor can they address them to anyone but the account holder.

Any suggestions from people who've dealt with the big banks in the USA? Or is this requirement by the local banks something I'm misunderstanding?

DiverVince
06-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Jeff..we went through this about 4 years ago when I set up our account at MCB. If memory serves me correctly they just wanted a letter on the US bank stationary addressed specifically to them advising that you are an account holder in good standing with the bank. At the time our bank was Wachovia (now wells fargo). I simply went in and sat down with the branch mgr. and he had his secretary prepare it. I took it down to Bonaire & personally handed it to the bank rep @ MCB and it was accepted.

I would check with the Bonaire bank though and ascertain EXACTLY what they need to process your application. Good luck. It seems it just gets more and more difficult to set up an off shore account!:confused:

jeff
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Vince. We got some kind of story from Chase, but clearly they are confused about this. Have a letter, but not exactly what the bank wanted. Will see if it works.

Sherylwky
07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Jeff. I'm not sure who you met with, but I agree that you should try a branch manager. If that doesn't get you what you want, try asking for a Regional Manager (branch managers report to them). Sometimes larger banks only allow employees to select from a list of form letters and employees are reluctant to go "outside of the box." With a little encouragement and explanation, you should be able to get exactly what you need.

jeff
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
We talked to two different branch managers, and to someone in their international services by phone. The int'l services person told us it wouldn't be a problem, just talk to a branch manager. The branch managers told us it couldn't be done. I guess we need to find a regional manager.

DiverVince
07-07-2011, 06:24 AM
We talked to two different branch managers, and to someone in their international services by phone. The int'l services person told us it wouldn't be a problem, just talk to a branch manager. The branch managers told us it couldn't be done. I guess we need to find a regional manager.

I don't know what's worse; banks or insurance companies... :rotf:

kob
07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
At my bank (Charter One, part of Citizens), branch manager told me that she can issue a letter to me, but "Legal Dept." had to issue a letter addressed to MCB or anyone other than account holder. Go figure.

Seahorserancher
07-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Jeff, I also use Chase as my primary bank and got nowhere with them after calls to branch manager, regional VP, etc etc.
It doesn't need to be a bank account . I was able to get a letter from my
brokerage account (Smith Barney) however, due to legal reasons they had to send it directly to the bank.
I would contact MCB directly and explain your situation. I have found the people at the Playa branch to be very helpful . Good Luck!!