PDA

View Full Version : Karpata shortcut

Sirto
06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm headed back to Bonaire after two years of diving vacations in Roatan and I would like to find out what the condition of the shortcut just past Karpata (up the hill and past the radio? towers. Last time we were there the potholes near the top of the hill were getting really large.

Is this still a viable route?

ronindiana
06-11-2011, 09:40 PM
We were there in May, and took the shortcut. The road is bad, but doable.

Chris
06-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Did the road on Friday, doable. There are worse roads on the island we took last week.

Vann Evans
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
When we were there in Feb/March, we had a group with 2 trucks. We left Karpata at the same time-one truck took the "shortcut" and the other went through Rincon. the truck that went through Rincon got back to Sand Dollar quicker(by about 2 minutes). I don't think there is a "shortcut"-just a 4 wheel drive adventure.
Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar

DiverVince
06-12-2011, 04:50 PM
The "short cut" may in fact be shorter geographically, but time wise it isn't. It's so much slower & much more treacherous. Take "the long route" and save time and nerves. Stop in Rincon & have a beer! ;) For me, in the future I'll only take the short route once the Dutch government decides to pave it.

Chris
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Vince, short cut is not the right term, "scenic route" describes it better.

Dive Biddie
11-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Beats me why it is a one-way road. The really narrow part (south of 1000 StepsWonder why they don't change the rules about that road???

petri hausmann
11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
it is a major tour route ..especially with big buses ..even with the height of the buses there is no visibility on the curves should there be oncoming traffic in the "wrong" direction and no space for the vehicles to pass safely .. PLEASE .. during cruise season DO NOT try to break the law and drive against the traffic right of way .. I work with tours and an big accident is on the horizon because of the breaking of the law .. also be informed .. when on a tour.. if we encounter wrong way traffic we will require you to turn around and your license number will be recorded and reported to the police and a fine will be issued ..rental or private.....

Barbara "CB" Gibson
11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Chris, Scenic Route is much better! I love that road just for the views and the taste of life on Bonaire, tootling by folks' houses. It's worth the bad road to me. So far. I've made it so far....

scubaliz
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I just took the Karpata shortcut/scenic route yesterday afternoon. It was in insanely poor condition due, presumably, to all the rain we've had lately. Lots of washed out sections, lots of deep pools of water. We had an excellent 4x4 truck, yet the major ruts (many several feet deep and running the entire width of the road) were everywhere and quite a challenge (to say the least).

Add to that the back of the truck filled with tanks and dive gear...it was "memorable" to say the least. And it undoubtedly took longer than just driving through Rincon.

Not taking the shortcut/scenic route again anytime soon, no matter how pretty the view might be.

CaptNick
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
...it was "memorable" to say the least.

I like the polite way of putting it.... :-)

We tried it ONCE too.... All the way wondering if it was too late to return and 'do it right'... I dont think any view, no matter how great it might be is worth that punishment to both our backs and the poor truck..... I remeber at some point going as fast as 5 (five) km/hr....