PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental

BonaireDan
05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Since this is a new site and I am back to being a newbie I guess let me start a general thread for those new visitors to Bonaire who do not know where to rent cars, pickups and such. I have my preference(s) so am not asking for myself.

Let anyone chime in on their recommendations or questions for the benefit of future Bonaire visitors.

Thanks.

LaDonna
05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
love Poppy and have never had an EASIER car rental experience

JbinBonaire
05-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Second on Poppy! LOVE her!!!!!!!

wwguy
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Since this is a new site and I am back to being a newbie I guess let me start a general thread for those new visitors to Bonaire who do not know where to rent cars, pickups and such. I have my preference(s) so am not asking for myself.

Let anyone chime in on their recommendations or questions for the benefit of future Bonaire visitors.

Thanks.

C'mon BonaireDan, there's no inherent value in creating an empty thread. Why not share your car rental experience and preference with the rest of us? :confused:

For everyone, there's a current list of Bonaire car rental companies, plus 10 "Important Facts About Car and Vehicle Rentals on Bonaire" on the Info Bonaire website at this link (http://www.infobonaire.com/transportation.html).

We've had satisfactory rental experiences with Total, Budget, and a couple of other local companies that aren't around anymore. We've also been happy with the Buddy Dive truck fleet when staying there.

Some of the dive trucks in AB's fleet are a little more worn, which appears to be reflected in their lower rates. I've seen AB trucks with bumpers zip-tied on, rusted body panels, and blown mufflers... but the divers inside always seem to be smiling. During the high season we see a higher ratio of shore divers in AB SUV's, rather than 4-door pickups. I haven't been able to figure out if this is voluntary on the part of the divers, or because demand exceeds truck supply. I haven't rented from AB, but their business model seems to work. They've been in business for quite a while and they have a lot of cars on the road (you can't miss the big AB decal on the door of their vehicles.)

On Bonaire all vehicles, parts, tires, fuel, and oil are obviously shipped in to the island. This is expensive and limits competitive pricing somewhat. I continue to be amazed and disappointed to see fellow divers driving through tidal pools in order to get a few feet closer to shore dive entry points at southern sites like the Hilma Hooker and Angel City etc. This repeatedly soaks the metal wheels, brakes, exhaust system, and undercarriage in corrosive salt water. This results in premature failure of brakes and mufflers, expensive maintenance, and shortened life of the vehicle. All costs are inevitably passed on to current and future renters through higher rental fees. The exceptions are the "clunker" rental companies that try to keep costs lower by deferring maintenance and repair as long as possible. The cost/benefit/risk trade-off for this low budget approach should be obvious.

Based on my values, the competetive differentiators between most rental companies are in the areas of customer service and flexibility to renters needs and schedule.

For our next trip we've already made our first reservation with Telerin Car Rental. This is after reading rave reviews of Poppy's great service repeatedly on this forum. Telerin is also one of the few Bonaire car rental companies that accepts American Express. This is key for us, as our Amex Platinum card provides overseas rental truck insurance. (Most credit cards do not.)

Happy Driving & Diving,

-Roger

Chris
05-29-2011, 12:19 PM
On island right now, managed to get a Telerin car this time. This is indeed the easiest rental process we have ever had and it is the newest car, we ever had. Go Poppy! And thanks BT for this recommendation!

Sparty
05-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Regarding condition of the rental vehicles on Bonaire:

Although reliability is high on my list of desires, I actually like it when the car I am renting has been roughed up a bit. If you rent from an agency that nit picks every little dent and scratch, it helps if their initial check out sheet shows a check mark on every panel. How are they ever going to know if you added a scratch or two? The worst situation is to get a spanking new vehicle with no marks on it.

The best part of my Bonaire vacations used to be once my vehicle was returned and I had my "security" credit card slip back in my hand. That is no longer an issue as three years ago I learned the secret that others have mentioned.

Coral Cruiser
05-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm with ya Sparty! Give me a truck that shows some use. Nics, dings, dents, scratches are ALL good in my book...If I ever got a vehicle that was too new looking I'd most likely tell them that I didn't want it! :D

jkehnle
05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
We, too, had a great experience with Poppy. Please -- as we are making our plans now for the first of the year, could you post their e-mail address in this thread?

Mucous garcias...

Chris
05-29-2011, 04:47 PM
marcolva@hotmail.com

DiveSergeant
05-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Does this Poppy person at Telerin have a website? We're leaning heavily toward AB due to good recommendations, but haven't committed or contacted them yet.

It's always good to look at alternatives.

Thanks,
DS

kob
05-29-2011, 06:43 PM
DiveSarge -- I would also highly recommend Budget. We have used them at least the last 6-7 times in a row with no problems at all. Usually Toyota Hilux pickups in good, not perfect, shape. Located right at airport.

DiveSergeant
05-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Kob. We haven't finalized anything and it is good to get as much info as possible. I appreciate it!
DS

BonaireDan
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry Wwguy about starting an empty thread. But the old site was
so valuable for just this sort of thing. And from the looks of the replies - yours in particular - the need is being met . Great thorough response.

Poppy is the best in my experience but staying with Buddy's and their process is even easier. Have rented at airport too but a bit more hassle although never had any issues at anytime.

Thanks

Chris
05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Not that I know off.Just had them send a quote by e-mail

Evan
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Budget tells me they tell me they don't open till 7 am!

anybody have experience with that?

The continental flights are so early that I'd be waiting to pick it up, and more significantly, no one would be there for the return

denisemaine
06-02-2011, 07:21 PM
We used a Budget truck for two weeks in May - note; Budget does not supply tank racks. We got by with just putting our weight belts on either side to keep them from rolling side to side and putting our gear buckets in front of the tanks to keep from sliding back and forth. We would have really liked to have a rack. Otherwise - Budget was fine.

ronindiana
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Poppy of Telerin Car Rental will meet you at the airport when ever you need her to be there. Her customer service is special! The price is right!
Marcolva Henriquez (Poppy)
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24Hrs)
Cell: 599-7886401
PIN: 20D44BFA
Telerin Car Rental
telerin (telerin@bonairelive.com)@bonairelive.com (telerin@bonairelive.com)
marcolva (marcolva@hotmail.com)@hotmail.com (marcolva@hotmail.com)

Ron

Lori
06-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Regarding condition of the rental vehicles on Bonaire:

The best part of my Bonaire vacations used to be once my vehicle was returned and I had my "security" credit card slip back in my hand. That is no longer an issue as three years ago I learned the secret that others have mentioned.

What is the "secret" you mention, Sparty? It does make me uncomfortable to leave the car rental agency with a "blank" credit slip.

MeWithThree
07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Does anybody know if Telerin Car Rental has a home base...

Where to find their location? :confused:

Any help would be great... just wanted to stop by.

ronindiana
07-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Telerin used to be located at the airport. When the airport made car rental changes Poppy did away with her office. We have had no problems with her service sense her move. Email her if you want a physical address... Ron

jkehnle
07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Airport rental kiosks open early, but several times I've waited after the arrival of the Continental red-eye from Houston.

Then BT turned me on to Poppy -- car waiting for us at the airport, with only a signature required. And they told me just to return it in the parking lot and leave the keys in it. Great experience.

altacruiser
12-14-2011, 10:02 PM
will be in bonaire in feb. Poppy is sold out . who is the next best rental company

wwguy
12-14-2011, 10:56 PM
will be in bonaire in feb. Poppy is sold out . who is the next best rental company

For me... Budget.

kob
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Second on Budget. I have used them regularly for nearly 15 years. Never had a problem.

coldwaterlloyd
12-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks.

Nice to see you back Dan , I have missed your Bonaire Enthusiasim on this new site , Welcome Back !

coldwaterlloyd
12-15-2011, 02:15 PM
On the rental front ... I have tried a few , I am of the opinion it is a crapshoot on quality of vehicle and service , on any given day your experience may change , I need to try Poppy next time as her reports are 100% positive , must be why she is booked so far in advance .
My pet peeve on all rentals I have used are the bald tires that we sign up to be responsible for .

ronindiana
12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Telerin Car Rental(Poppy) Is a class act! She treats you as if you were family! She is Honest, friendly, and has a smile on her face all the time. I think she feels our excitement on being on Bonaire!!! Ron

fraserfraser
12-31-2011, 03:32 PM
had always used AB Carrental but since it no longer is taking american express I am looking for an alternative. Unfortunately Telerin has nothing available during my stay. appreciate hearing about others.
thanks