PDA

View Full Version : seahorses and frogfish

Jessicaca
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi All - I am heading out to Bonaire from june 16-22. It's my first time and could use some advise on the best spots to see seahorses and frogfish. I read the other thread about "invisibles". so that is a must dive.. any other suggestions ? thanks so much !! happy bubbles...

barbeja
05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Jessicaca!
We've had good luck for BOTH off the beach from the Yellow Submarine dive shop. I think others often see both in this area too. Just a bit past any moored boats and before the dropoff, kinda where the sand starts getting interjected with spotty coral islands, rockpiles and gorgonians--frogfish often on some rubble, seahorses usually hiding in the gorgonians. Ask the folks at Yellow Submarine and I bet they can point you right to one or more that have just been spotted!

My wife and I will be on island at the same time as you (Jamie and Renee), maybe will run in to you!
:)

barbeja
05-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Oh and you're gonna LOVE Bonaire!!! Have a blast!

kob
05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Jessica -- we found seahorses at The Lake in the shallows on rubble about half way to the reef. Swim straight out from the marked entry and start looking. Have a great trip !! :D:D

barbeja
05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Sorry, don't mean to hog the thread, but I also want to recommend Karpata (if you're really adventuresome consider the drift dive from Oil Slick to Karpata), of course the Hilma Hooker (close to Invisibles), and I really like Cliff! Get the Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy book for sure!!

Jessicaca
05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
thanks so much for all the suggestions !! I will definately put yellow submarine on the list ! Was planning on drifting from la dania to karpata, but I didn't know we could drift all the way from oil slick ! thanks for the tip.. JAime we're staying at Captain Don's..are you close by?

barbeja
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
La Dania's! Not Oil Slick--my bad. Oops! Glad you know better and didn't follow my recommendation ;-) Yes, pretty drift dive for sure!
We will be over on the other side by Lac Bay (Sorobon).

handben
05-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry, don't mean to hog the thread, but I also want to recommend Karpata (if you're really adventuresome consider the drift dive from Oil Slick to Karpata), of course the Hilma Hooker (close to Invisibles), and I really like Cliff! Get the Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy book for sure!!

You did say "really" adventuresome. It is only 3.3 miles from Oil slick up to Karpata based on a quick calculation on Google earth. I suppose with a northbound current and diving doubles it is doable. I'd be afraid though that I wouldn't recognize the topography and I'd miss my take out point.