PDA

View Full Version : Retire on Bonaire............

DawnSpencer
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Scott & I are seriously thinking about retiring on Bonaire. Maybe an early retirement in just a couple of years. We are seriously considering buying our own place so that we can come whenever and for however long we can. Would like to know how it's working out for some of you Bonaire Talkers sho are doing the same.:)

kob
05-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Dawn -- Sue & I have the same plan. Last fall we bought a condo at Lighthouse Beach Resort, which we rent as we can and will use as our retirement home in 3-4 years. Between now and then, we'll come down to Bonaire as often as time & budget permits and gradually make the condo feel like home. Next visit is in September and I know that Sue wants to do a little less diving this trip and a little more personalizing of our place.

Others who have done this can elaborate, but it seems to me that one of the real keys to "when" is figuring out how much does it take to live month-to-month, so that we can plan accordingly.

Good luck. Would be interested in hearing from you as your plans progress.

DawnSpencer
05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Kob,
Just saw Francey heading into your unit :) She's the best! Did my Advanced Open Water Completion with her. We will continue to look into "living on Bonaire".

kob
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Dawn -- would be happy to share info with you as I learn more and would be grateful for hearing anything that you might learn as well. The vision is clear ... the path to the vision less so !!;)

DiverVince
05-24-2011, 01:04 PM
It's working well Dawn..I think the key is to retain a stateside residence as part of your retirement plan. This way basically you can come & go as you please. Now we're down about 5 weeks per year. When I stop working (hopefully sooner as opposed to later ;)) we plan on spending about 4 months of the year on Bonaire. Any other questions you can pm me.

kob
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Vince -- have you made any rough "guesstimates" of reasonable living costs for extended stays on Bonaire ?? Not living like a tourist, but living like a local ?? :confused:

DiverVince
05-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Vince -- have you made any rough "guesstimates" of reasonable living costs for extended stays on Bonaire ?? Not living like a tourist, but living like a local ?? :confused:

Well we live in North Jersey, not exactly a cheap area. I really don't see that great a price difference. As I mentioned above, we're on island about 5 weeks a year now, if I were to guesstimate, I'd say roughly 10-15% more. Not a major issue for us. The biggest expenditure (at least for us) would be eating out and of course that can be controlled and curtailed from what we do when on vacation. We eat out much more on Bonaire than back home.

kob
05-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks, Vince. We are about 3 years (maybe 4 if the market doesn't shape up :() from retiring and our plan is to leave NE Ohio and live in our place on Bonaire. Will be there in September and plan to start doing some more thorough research on living costs (as a local) while there.

Thanks again for your insights.;)

Esko
05-30-2011, 05:38 AM
I donīt think the costs from being a multipletimes tourist vary a lot to the locals. As far as my experiences are on Curacao and Bonaire, you more and more start living like at home.

Sure there will be slight differences on how often you go out for dinner or to a bar, but my guess is the differences on the normal costs are quite small to none, compared to other countries.

Just a guess though:)

petri hausmann
06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
while it is exciting to think about retiring on Bonaire ..I recommend that your first stop is at immigration .. the rules have changed greatly since the changeover and time spent on the island in a calender year is limited unless you apply for temporary or permanent residency .. happy retirement! ;)

kob
06-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Esko & Petri for the insights. We are planning to apply for residency when we retire to Bonaire.

I am currently a dive store owner, PADI Master Instructor and planning to attend Course Director training in 2012. I have been told in previous conversations with some DMs/instructors on Bonaire that part-time work is available for CD's. Hence, the questions regarding cost of living, so I can try to estimate how much will need to come from my retirement savings & how much I might be able to earn with part-time work.

Thanks again for all input :)