Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Shipping container

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default Shipping container

    Has anyone from Canada shipped a container down to Bonaire? I am not sure where to start .... Does anyone have any advice they would like to share?
    Thank you , Anne

  2. #2
    mervynt is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Hi,
    I am not sure if you are on Facebook but there is a couple from Laval, Quebec who just recently shipped 3 containers to Bonaire. If you search for Notre Vie-Là Bonaire you should be able to find them and they seem to be willing to answer questions. They have been posting there story of preparing for the move in Canada and now they are on the island and are starting work on their plot of land.

    FYI, they posted the following for the route their containers took. "Good news, our 3 containers which left Canada on June 18, arrived on Bonaire Island this morning on July 29. The travel was : Montreal, Quebec - Moncton, New Brunswick - St-John, New Brunswick - Kingston, Jamaica - Willemstad, Curaçao - Kralendijk, Bonaire"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40

    Default

    We are also in the midst of moving to Bonaire and we were unable to find a container (worldwide shortage) so lucky you if you did. Contact Amcar in Miami they would most likely be the ones taking over the container once it is in the USA. It is extremely difficult to ship your personal belongings without you accompanying them and since the US/Canada border is closed I do not know who would ship a container if you can find one that is.

    Best perhaps to contact a moving company and explain that your goods would be in transit only through the USA you might get lucky... We did not a chose a different route. What province do you live in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Wow! That's quite the route. Glad to read they had containers to protect their goods.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Thank you for the reply , I have found some information....I will continue to work on it. Apparently I need a "forwarder"

    Quote Originally Posted by mervynt View Post
    Hi,
    I am not sure if you are on Facebook but there is a couple from Laval, Quebec who just recently shipped 3 containers to Bonaire. If you search for Notre Vie-Là Bonaire you should be able to find them and they seem to be willing to answer questions. They have been posting there story of preparing for the move in Canada and now they are on the island and are starting work on their plot of land.

    FYI, they posted the following for the route their containers took. "Good news, our 3 containers which left Canada on June 18, arrived on Bonaire Island this morning on July 29. The travel was : Montreal, Quebec - Moncton, New Brunswick - St-John, New Brunswick - Kingston, Jamaica - Willemstad, Curaçao - Kralendijk, Bonaire"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Thank you for the reply. I do have the info on Amcar/Rocargo . Hopefully we can find a container. I live in Ontario, close to the border, which is still closed.


    Quote Originally Posted by queentrigger View Post
    We are also in the midst of moving to Bonaire and we were unable to find a container (worldwide shortage) so lucky you if you did. Contact Amcar in Miami they would most likely be the ones taking over the container once it is in the USA. It is extremely difficult to ship your personal belongings without you accompanying them and since the US/Canada border is closed I do not know who would ship a container if you can find one that is.

    Best perhaps to contact a moving company and explain that your goods would be in transit only through the USA you might get lucky... We did not a chose a different route. What province do you live in?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Hi Sorobonanne

    We are shipping a vehicle to Miami via Laberge Transport a company catering to snowbirds in Ontario and Quebec due to border closure. This will take the vehicle to Amcar Miami and we are placing crates in the back. The crates cannot limit nor impair the driver's vison for loading and unloading the vehicle and once in Miami they have to be shipped independently of the vehicle. I don't know how much stuff you have but for us it was a good option Hope this helps!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Appreciate the info. I am not sure I need a container actually. I will get in touch with a forwarder and see what my options are. We have some house items and about a dozen tanks we want to bring down. Our car is too old to make it worth while to ship.
    I hope all goes well with your shipment.
    Anne

    Quote Originally Posted by queentrigger View Post
    Hi Sorobonanne

    We are shipping a vehicle to Miami via Laberge Transport a company catering to snowbirds in Ontario and Quebec due to border closure. This will take the vehicle to Amcar Miami and we are placing crates in the back. The crates cannot limit nor impair the driver's vison for loading and unloading the vehicle and once in Miami they have to be shipped independently of the vehicle. I don't know how much stuff you have but for us it was a good option Hope this helps!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40

    Default

    We moved a lot of stuff by mail. Takes about two months from ON Canada to BONAIRE. Big box runs about $200 cad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •