Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get to Bonaire on American

Default Can't get to Bonaire on American

Well, canít get there from Albuquerque anyway.

Yes, they will sell you a ticket but, they will not let it work. They tell you that when you try to check in at the airport.

Itís the 48 hour PCR test that makes it impossible. American Airlines wonít let us on the plane in Albuquerque unless we can show a negative PCR test taken within the 48 hours before leaving Miami. Yes, thatís a secret rule. They (AA) tell you that Bonaire rules apply and Bonaire rules are 48 hours before getting on in Miami but say nothing about the flights from Albuquerque to Miami.

There is no lab in Albuquerque doing the tests so we do the swab at CVS and they overnight them to the lab then, we get the results in 24-48 hours. We were willing to take the risk of not being able to get on in Miami but, AA wouldnít let us get on in Albuquerque without the tests. The latest we could check in in Albuquerque to get the Miami flight was 3:00 Tuesday leaving 21 hours till the Miami flight to Bonaire. Getting the test on Monday could not get us the results before leaving Albuquerque Tuesday. American would not let us on the plane.

We understood that if we didn't have the negative test results by the time the plane was leaving Miami we would need to buy tickets back home. American wouldn't let us do that. They wouldn't let us fly the first leg without documentation that we could fly the last leg but, they don't tell you that till you get to the airport.. There just isn't any way to make that work.

There is no rule or law that says I must have a PCR test to fly from Albuquerque to Miami except Americanís secret rule. So, they wouldnít let us on the plane.

Then, American blames it on Bonaire, like Bonaire is making the rules to fly from Albuquerque to Miami.

When you consider who to fly with, find another airline.

Well, canít get there from Albuquerque anyway.
    Last edited by ModRoy; 09-16-2021 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Title correction

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There is plenty of evidence that the 48h is based on your initial departure, i.e. Albuquerque, not the MIA-BON flight, so long as you do not overnight on the way.
    See, for example, this exchange from the Bonaire Health Dept:

"In case anyone finds this helpful, I e-mailed the public health department in Bonaire. Here is what I asked:

Hello,

My friend and I are travelling to Bonaire mid-September. We had a few questions we were hoping to get clarification on.

1. Your website indicates that we must have a (NAAT)PCR test 48 hours before departure. Is that departure based on the time of our first flight or our flight from Miami into Boniare? We will not be leaving the airport between connections.
    2. Are rapid PCR-RT tests, like the Abbot ID NOW tests acceptable for entry?
    3. Since we are staying on the island for 7 days, we will need to get an antigen test on day 5 or 6 of our trip and have the company send the results to the PG to meet the new requirements? Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide!

Here is the response the sent me:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Bonaire public heath department.

The PCR test has to be taken within 48 hours of your first departure.

The IDNOW RT-PCR is a valid PCR test and is accepted for your entry to Bonaire. If you are staying in Bonaire for less than 8 days, you can take your PCR test at a commercial test company and send the result to us. This so you can have your result in writing for your trip back.

Hope to have informed you accordingly.

Kind Regards.

Positive confirmation that the 48 hours is from the first flight, in my case PHX to MIA. Also confirmation that the ID NOW test is acceptable for entry and there is no need to take the antigen test with PG if you are staying less than 8 days.

Hopefully this information helps someone else as well!"

I suggest you escalate your discussions with AA to someone with supervisory status.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

But of course one must overnight on the way because of American's schedule. One cannot get to Miami from Albuquerque for the flight to Bonaire otherwise. The last flight leaving Albuquerque to get me through DFT to MIA is at 4:45 PM and the last flight leaving to get me through PDX to MIA is at 5:30 PM. The MIA to BON flight is at 11:30AM the next day.

And of course that test, the rapid pcr test, is not available in Albuquerque.
    Last edited by thom; 09-01-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: left part out

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    But of course one must overnight on the way because of American's schedule. One cannot get to Miami from Albuquerque for the flight to Bonaire otherwise. The last flight leaving Albuquerque to get me through DFT to MIA is at 4:45 PM and the last flight leaving to get me through PDX to MIA is at 5:30 PM. The MIA to BON flight is at 11:30AM the next day.

And of course that test, the rapid pcr test, is not available in Albuquerque.
    I see ID NOW at Walgreens in Albuquerque.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2391...40091207721491
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2391...77011710696107

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post

We called. Walgreens said the fastest they could do anywhere in NM was 48 - 72 hours. You can tell them what their web site says then they will tell you what they will do regardless of the misinformed website. In fact, CVS was the fastest in the state with 24 - 48 hours notice.

Had American let us on the plane in Albuquerque we would have been fine. My results came in an hour before boarding but my wife's didn't come in till three hours later. We were willing to rebook through Phoenix but she did not have the result in time for the last flight from ABQ to PDX.

American made the rule that wouldn't let us take the chance of not having the test by the time we were scheduled to leave Miami. I intended to absorb the costs of that risk of not getting the results within the 48 hours but, American wouldn't allow it.

And that is the issue. There is no law except for American Airlines that says I must have a PCR test to fly between Albuquerque and Miami. I was even willing to book and pay for the flights for my wife just ABQ-MIA then get on the MIA-BON flight but AA wouldn't allow it. They insisted the entire reservation, round trip must be cancelled in order to book the ABQ-MIA flight.

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    We called. Walgreens said the fastest they could do anywhere in NM was 48 - 72 hours.
    Did you ask them about a PCR test, or an ID NOW test?

We asked about a rapid PCR test. They told us they did not do them, the only pcr tests are the ones they ship out of state. We also tried a few other places including Presbyterian hospital systems, they all had the same response. When you google that test the response includes places that will say they don't do covid testing at all.

Keep in mind, compared to Phoenix, Albuquerque is quite small. Your population is more than 6X ours.

There may be a problem asking about a PCR test, rapid or not.
    In Walgreens-speak, you want to know about a Rapid Diagnostic Test.
    You need to specifically ask about the Abbott labs ID NOW test, which is a NAAT test, as is a PCR test. Both satisfy Bonaire, but they are not the same.
    Then there is the problem of scheduling an appointment, but first you have to find the test.
    Clipboard02.jpg

Thom - I am so sorry to hear you didn't get to take your trip. I am glad however that you posted your experience. I have a trip scheduled in a few months and have been wondering how this all worked.

I emailed Bonaire Public Health regarding clarification on the 48 hours since I start my trip in Orlando. I change planes in Miami to get to Bonaire. Public Health advised me

"Hereby we would like to inform you that the 48 hour before departure timeframe that is required is from your origin flight in Orlando florida."

I wasn't sure how American Airlines would handle the PCR test results - would I need it to board the plane in Orlando or did I have a few more hours until the flight out of Miami? I will make sure I have my test results prior to checking in for my flight out of Orlando.

Due to your post, I am searching for the rapid PCR test in the Daytona Area. Yes, the rapid PCR test cost about $150 but that is nothing compared to loosing my deposits. At least I am starting my trip in Florida...Hadn't thought about the complexities of leaving from out west! Thank you again for posting - know that you have helped at least one traveler.

I am glad I helped someone.

My wife's test results came in 3 hours after mine. We would have been fine but American's secret rule wouldn't let us on the plane. Even at that, the 48 hours is stretching it. Mine came back in 28 hours and my wife's in 31 hours. They say generally 20 - 48 but can be 72 or more depending on how busy the lab is. I would do the rapid test if its available to you. We just don't have it in NM. There was one company whose site said they had it and we were willing to make the 2.5 hour round trip drive to Santa Fe but, after calling we learned that they really don't do it.

There are a couple places in Albuquerque that advertise the rapid test but when you call them you find out they don't do any type of Covid testing.