Thread: leave driving license in the car while diving- ??

Default leave driving license in the car while diving- ??

Hi there
    I am a repeating guest since 1984 to Bonaire, enjoy it very much - even love the island - but due too the corona crisis , i could not pop over from europe
    for the last 2 years. Unfortunately :-(
    I am also reading every issue of the BonaireReporter.
    So, now comes my question:
    When renting a car for transporting dive equipment (and before this 2 years absence) the advise of the diveshop/car renter was always
    * When going diving, leave the car open/unlocked - windows down - leave no valuables inside.
    And so i did , even i left my carkey in the ash tray.
    Now, when reading the BonaireReporter's POLICE REPORT-section i am confused.
    Police is checking the driving licenses & speaking fines, if not shown - If i have to leave the car open/unlocked, i would not like to leave the driving license inside the car and
    of course do not want to take it underwater.
    When going out in the evening, its a different story, becaus i have my wallte with, but when driving to a dive spot, i have my dive equipment, a T-Shirt and a spare swimming suit and thats it.
    What are you doing nowadays?
    How serious is this message, that police is checking the licenses in that case , while driving to a dive spot during the day ?
    Is a copy of the license sufficiant ?
    Is it possible to show the license afte a control afterwards at the police station w/o getting fined ?
    Are they tolerate to diving tourists ?
    Thanks for some practical hints... during the last 2 years.
    Last edited by ModRoy; 07-09-2021 at 01:54 AM. Reason: car not ca (calafornia)
    Didi (Austria & Switzerland)
    TDI IT # 2020
    Manatee Divers Int'l HQ (Reg. TDI/SDI Facility)
    CDAS (Cave Diving Association of Switzerland) HQ
    RSDAS (Russki Schnuffski Diving Association of Switzerland) HQ

I take a copy of my license and ID and leave it in the car with the rental papers.

very tolerant for tourists ---- also if it is a rented car you would have to have a drivers license?

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

I bring a waterproof pack and bring my license, a credit card, and $50.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I've had D/Ls from California, Florida, Ohio, and Texas, and all were/are waterproof. Like michaeto, I bring my license, a credit card and $20-$50, and keep them in the velcro back pocket of my swim suit. Never had a problem, everything dries just fine, including the bills.

1 thing to add, I remove the keys (room and truck) from their tags and put on a carabiner ring with no identification all of it coated in silicon grease, then take it on my dive. At the end of the trip, the keys go back on their proper rings, with the grease wiped off. Just keep everything greased and it won't rust.

Hi Folks
    Thanks very much for all your answers and sorry for my typos in the original request, but i wrote it on a mobile.
    As mentioned, i do not like to bring IDs Keys etc... with me under water.
    I will go for the version of sorobonanne and bring a copy of my ID and the driving license and put them to the rental paper in the car.
    Remove the tags from the keys and as i do here in Austria (while diving), bring a super magnet along and put the keys somewhere hidden under, but outside the car.
    Not anymore just in the ashtray , but leave the window open and the car unlocked.
    Thanks again
    Didi (Austria & Switzerland)
    TDI IT # 2020
    Manatee Divers Int'l HQ (Reg. TDI/SDI Facility)
    CDAS (Cave Diving Association of Switzerland) HQ
    RSDAS (Russki Schnuffski Diving Association of Switzerland) HQ