Thread: Customs

Default Customs

We plan to permanently move to Bonaire this year. My question does anyone know what happens to the tax/duty if your items arrive before Immigration issues the sedula? We don't want to pay taxes on our stuff.

Any help is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by queentrigger View Post
    We plan to permanently move to Bonaire this year. My question does anyone know what happens to the tax/duty if your items arrive before Immigration issues the sedula? We don't want to pay taxes on our stuff.

Any help is welcomed.
    We got our answer. Thanks

Would you care to share that answer?

I am curious about this subject too. Can you share what you now know?

I am copying the response received. In short is you pay then you get reimbursed.

"In response to your questions below, I can inform you the following.

If all import requirements are not met when importing goods, including submission of the registration certificate, Customs will suffice with submitting a temporary import declaration, accompanied by an amount of deposit. The amount of deposit is to guarantee the possible payment of the amount of import duties corresponding to a customs debt.

Customs sets a term for the purpose of the missing documents, which may not be longer than one month from the time when the temporary import declaration is accepted. At your request, Customs may grant an extension of the said period on the basis of special circumstances. The request must be submitted to Customs before the said term expires.

When all import requirements (submission of the registration certificate) are finally met within the said period(s), a definitive import declaration must be submitted to Customs. This import declaration serves to clear the previously submitted temporary import declaration. The security provided is then returned to you."

Hope it helps,

Yes, that is helpful.

Customs sets a term for the purpose of the missing documents, which may not be longer than one month from the time when the temporary import declaration is accepted. At your request, Customs may grant an extension of the said period on the basis of special circumstances. The request must be submitted to Customs before the said term expires.

The salient point seems that you must, within one month, request an extension while awaiting your sedula approval, which can take much longer to be processed. I

Good luck with it

Cheers

AGD

Thank you Queen

I personally would err on the side of caution and NOT ship anything to Bonaire before getting the sedula - unless you are content to pay the 8% tax and live here as a tourist for a prolonged period of time. 8% is not that much on depreciated used goods.

Be cautious, no one is guaranteed a sedula. From my personal experience as a property and business owner on Bonaire NOTHING ever happens as is should the first, second or even third time. Now with Covid as an ongoing obstacle I would be even more cautious about making ANY plans.

On the other hand, the cost of storing your belongings state side long term will be more then paying the 8% import tax. But what if you are NOT granted the sedula? Then what? Will you stay as a tourist and go back and forth? I'm happy enough to go back and forth and spend as much time in Bonaire as I can, but less then the 6 months I'm allowed to. I would want the sedula finalized before I "moved" from the states.

I hope this all works out for you.