Thread: The Donkey Sanctuary desperately needs our help

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default The Donkey Sanctuary desperately needs our help

Hi everyone,

The Donkey Sanctuary is not receiving any aid from the government, and Marina has been paying for the cost of approximately one thousand donkeys in her care out of her own pocket since March when the tourists stopped coming. She is deeply in debt trying to continue feeding them and has reached the end of her resources. She has put out a desperate call for help.

You can contribute directly on the webpage at www.donkeysanctuary.org

At the bottom of the page is a "donate online" icon that accepts credit cards, paypal, etc. Very quick and easy. Contributions are in Euros (for comparison to dollars - Ian and I donated 175 Euros which is approximately $200 American dollars, or you can use a currency converter to determine.)

Hoping those of us on Bonaire Talk who enjoy the "Donks" screen shots can help these beautiful donkeys.

All the best,
    Kate and Ian
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Hi Kate,

Thank you so very much for the post.

Elaine and I will step in and send the Sanctuary some much needed cash. We will also follow-up on how they are doing and will continue to support the very excellent work of Marina and her crew.

We as humans put the Donks on Bonaire for our benefit, and as such we do need to help support them.

A couple of quotes if I may indulge this forum a wee-bit.

Albert Einstein
    ”The world is a dangerous place, not because those who are evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing”

Mahatma Gandi
    ”The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

Sorry, I really do not want to preach, but helping animal rescue/support groups was instilled upon me long ago by my parents.

Steve
    S&E Tanton

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Just read this news in a Dutch paper:

The donkeys from the famous donkey sanctuary on Bonaire are also struggling due to the corona crisis. Tourists stay away from the island, which has received a travel advice code from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The shelter is therefore in financial need. Animal welfare organization House of Animals is therefore sending a ship filled with 25,000 kilos of hay so that the more than 700 animals can continue to be fed.
    Last edited by smits; 08-13-2020 at 10:41 AM.

MelE is online now Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I received an email from the Donkey Sanctuary with a link to a new Go Fund Me page. This is an easy way for Americans to help out the Donkey Sanctuary here on Bonaire. https://www.gofundme.com/f/ezelsezels-en-nog-eens-ezels

If it comes up in Dutch look to the top right corner to change it to English. I’m so grateful the Donkey Sanctuary is here on Bonaire to take in and care for injured and orphaned donkeys. Unfortunately, many are hit by cars so they get calls every month about new cases.