Thread: Gonzalo bringing rain

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Gonzalo bringing rain

Hi everyone,

The outer bands of the tropical storm are currently bringing intermittent heavy rain here on Bonaire. Since we don’t get a lot of rainfall here, it’s great for the plants and wildlife. It has also washed our cars and topped up the water in our pool so we don’t have to stick the hose in.

We’ve been enjoying sitting on the porch and watching it. Thanks to all who expressed concern. I’ll keep you posted, but right now it’s lovely rain. (Ian still did two dives this morning.)

All the best,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Hi Kate.. I was wondering when the rain was going to be on Bonaire and how much... We are supposed to get the rain on Monday. It's pretty hot right now here in Detroit and tomorrow is going to be 94 lol... Take Care..

Hi Bob,
    Since my initial post, we got enough rain this afternoon that some downtown streets flooded and the police closed them to traffic until they could drain. The rain stopped about an hour ago, and we expect more tomorrow. The air is pleasantly cool and the birds are singing again. I’ll update tomorrow.
    All the best,
    Kate Butler

Ah Bonaire Roads! I have seen Kaya Korana just uphill from the Curoil Gas Station turn into a river on more than one occasion. Then Kaya Gob. N. Debrot just beside Harbour Village Mariana turns into a lake when even moderate rains come. I can only imagine what the roads would have been like today 😳. I did log onto to the Curaçao weather radar site and followed the storms as they passed over all the ABC islands. All our Bonaire house roof surfaces drain into into a few thousand gallon cistern system, which I suspect might be now be full, which is very good news for our auto irrigation system and thus our next WEB bill. We are just happy that Gonzalo has been down graded to a Post Tropical Depression. A couple of days ago it looked like it could be worse according to the US Hurricane forecast center. Crazy weather up this way also. We are out in BC at our Summer house where the weather has been normal for the most part this Summer, but back in Calgary AB there have been several very large Hail Storms, with the Hail Stones up to the size of Tennis Ball. Our Calgary house did not get hit, but one storm caused some $1.4 Billion in damage, yes that is Billion. It was the forth most expensive natural disaster in Canadian history.
    S&E Tanton

Default Donks were getting a good wash down....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,

About 2 am this morning I woke to thunder and heavy rain. Our bed is under the part of the roof that has the solar panels so we hear rain on them when it’s heavy. (And we are happy because that means the dirt and dust gets washed off, since we have a 2 story house, we have to depend on rain to clean them!)

We got up about 7 am and it was still raining, but not as hard. We heard distant thunder as the storm moved away. About 8:30 the rain stopped, and it turned into a sunny day.

As Canuck52 mentioned, Bonaire has some low spots that flood for a bit when it rains, and the usual places had flooding, just a lot more than usual.

Everything is looking clean and green!

Thanks for your concern, hope you’re all well.
    Kate
    Kate Butler

randl is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

https://bonaire.nu/2020/07/25/meer-r...ce=getresponse

Here's a couple of photos of flooded streets and a radar image capture.