Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dive-Site Thieves Caught

mervynt is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Just out of interest, did those people on this forum who have had stuff stolen from dive sites actually report it to the police? I would assume that the unofficial number is quite a bit higher as people probably don't want to waste valuable vacation time at a police station reporting a $3 theft or other non-valuable items.

My last post was not suggest or create a thread that dive site crime is rampant and in general I agree that the story was limited and did not provide sufficient detail to really be meaningful. The reporting of a statistical increase without more is not helpful. I do take issue with the the 2 to 4 example which anyone who knows anything about Bon and dive site theft knows that such an example with such low numbers is equally unhelpful.

I haven't reported thefts. We don't leave anything of value still, our mesh bags have been stolen along with some worthless t-shirts. The mesh bags come from WalMart, about $5 and last about one trip. Of course that misses the point entirely. Blaming the victim because Bonaire gives petty theft a pass isn't cool though much of the US does the same. Of course it is foolish to leave valuables in your unattended vehicle at a dive site but, that is a separate issue.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Like thom, we didn't report the theft of the flip-flops and the little water cooler. That post was a bit of tongue in cheek. That day at Karpata there was quite a crowd when we left the truck and we were suprised at the chutzpah of someone grabbing stuff presumably with others around.

But dive site theft is a pain and we all know it. We all know to leave the windows down and to leave nothing we care about. But each time I walk away from the truck I think about the towels and shirts, and sometimes I put the flip flops in my BC pocket.

We did report the theft of the entire truck in '93 from Tolo (Ole' Blue, at the time). Had to walk to the radio station to call police and it took hours. The truck was found a few days latter in a desolate area, with a good sized dent and a broken wing window. They took our RayBans but tossed the towels and a cheap transistor radio. It was our first Bonaire trip and we foolishly locked the truck with worthwhile booty inside.