Thread: RIP Bruce

Unhappy RIP Bruce

Our sincerest condolences to the Bowker Family

from FB Page of Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn

Dear Carib Inn friends and family,

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to tell you that Bruce has passed away from the injuries he suffered earlier this week. He fell while doing a project and suffered a major head injury.
    We are all devastated beyond belief and I know so many of you will feel the same. He was so special to so many and we grieve this monumental loss.
    I have every intention of keeping his spirit alive by running the Carib Inn to continue its success and make him proud.
    Thank you for your outpouring of love and support this past week it's meant so much to me, our family, and the staff.

Lynne
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Bruce was a legend on Bonaire. What a wonderful man ! So sorry to hear this sad news. Our sincere condolences go out to his family and his Carib Inn Family.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I'm so sorry to hear this. Bruce was one of the go-to guys on Bonaire.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My heart and heartfelt condolences to Lynne, the rest of his family, and the staff at Carib Inn. This is so very sad.

Bruce was our gateway introduction to Bonaire. On our first trip in '93, we stayed at Carib Inn after seeing his Skin Diver ad with the twin Dalmations. He was our dive shop and friend ever since. So many have had the same experience. Words can't express...

Britta and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Bruce. We met him in 1997 when saying hello to him from a mutual friend who was my dive instructor from Key West. We didn't stay at the Carib Inn but used him exclusively anytime when on the island for scuba equipment repair.

Condolences to his family and staff.

Sheila and I stayed with Bruce for our last three trips. We have been hoping to stay there for many more trips. He will be missed even if the Carib Inn is open. While he may have been hard to get to know personally, once you made the transition to friend you knew you had a dependable one.

This is really sad. My first visit to Bonaire in 1986 or 1987 was with Bruce at Caribe Inn. I was a NY kid and he was a NJ guy, and we had a lot of fun making fun of each other. I thought I was on vacation but Bruce would get me up at 7AM and yell that it was time for me to dive. We dove with Bruce a few times and rented some crazy Chinese mini moke van of some sort and did countless shore dives. Bruce is one of the reasons Iíve been coming back for almost 35 years and bought a home here. He is one of the first few true American pioneers that introduced the beauty of Bonaire to so many divers from around the world. I hope Caribe Inn continues as we all know he would hope it would. My deepest condolences to his close friends and family.

Took me a while to post this as I'm still in disbelief.

I first met Bruce in 1988-ish. First meeting or so we talked about diving and even more so about British sports cars, I think he used to own a Jaguar? that he drove when back in PA. in the states, we shared stories of what it meant to own anything Brit on the mechanical front. ( I used to race in SCCA a "Spridget", a car that may have been part Austin Healey Sprite, Part MG Midget etc .) Anyways we hit it off. Paradoxically, We never stayed at the Carib Inn, always ending up in condo-style accommodations nearby in Belnem but always used his dive services. But we chatted nuts and bolts on rusty cars and Archimedes Wheels and other technical things. I got him, and he got me. To me he wasn't hard to understand in terms of where he had been and what he valued- indeed he was one of the ones that saw what was coming with more tourists, more growth, etc.

Certainly that did not earn him a lot of friends in certain sectors. It was who he was though, and I can only imagine what Bonaire would be like without he and a small handful of visionaries that have kept growth in Bonaire and the Marine Park in check. A Patriot of his adopted island.

I cannot explain why our schedules, needs and timing always seemed to not mesh with his Carib Inn openings, but yet still he was always happy to provide whatever we needed at the best price despite sleeping elsewhere.

Us: "Bruce, where's the best place to buy Amstel ?"

Bruce: "Joke's" Sure enough in those days it was the best place by the case.

Us: "Bruce, what do we owe you ?"

Bruce: "Well, it seems to me the cheapest for you is the two weeks at the air-only rate"

I don't think I had ever been ( or have been since) to a business that would calculate their fees based on the cheapest rate for the customer as though it was their duty to you.

Character.