Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on Bonaire reopening to tourists

Quote Originally Posted by tkaelin View Post
    Interesting thread. The government in Grand Cayman has made it clear, at least as I read it, that they will keep the island closed likely through the end of the year unless there is some medical scientific progress in understanding the immunity issue for those who have had it, testing and/or a vaccine. Will be interesting to see how they survive economically and otherwise if they keep the island closed that long. Bonaire is facing the same dilemma and choices will have to be made. So far I don't see that Bonaire's government has made the same decisions or has expressed the same policy preference as GC. Again, we shall see and it will be very interesting to see what unfolds.

As a homeowner on Bonaire and a very frequent visitor (9-10 visits a year) I’d be happy if we never see another cruise ship. Getting stuck behind a golf cart or surrounded at one of the beach bars by wrist banded day trippers is something I despise, however, I put up with it because many local business owners have become dependent on the cruise ship trade, I want everyone to be able to live well. I rent my home for a significant amount of money for the time in between my visits. Indirectly I employee a caretaker, pool service, gardener, security service, and various contractors. With my visitor income cut off, I will still maintain my house and pay my taxes from afar even if I can’t enjoy it. I trust that the local government will know when they can handle the return of tourism. Maybe they can require visitors to have proof of travel insurance to cover the cost of evacuating anyone who becomes ill?

As to Grand Cayman I think it’s dangerous to compare their lockdown to Bonaire. It is an internationally acclaimed banking hub far greater then Curaçao, rivaling some European banking centers. Private money rebuilt the Caymans after Ivan. I think they can “afford” a lockdown that may cripple Bonaire.

I have first world problems and am embarrassed sometimes. I hope that my friends, neighbors, acquaintances, bartenders, food servers, contractors and even the government employees at the various agencies that make me come back with one more piece of paper EVERY time I try to register or license anything are all healthy and safe in the paradise I miss so much. As to the Bonaire enthusiasts worldwide, I also hope you are all healthy, safe and surviving these crazy times.

I've a trip to Bonaire planned for Aug 8-15, staying at Caribbean Club. Is the Club open for business? Are the local restaurants open for business? As of this time my AA flight is still scheduled, but will Bonaire let us in without quarantine? We're coming from TX in USA.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There should be an announcement Wednesday from Bonaire about opening. Right now it is closed to flights from the US and most other places. Watch InfoBonaire.com for some news, or Bonaire.nu.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Mel is correct, we should hear tomorrow. I'll be posting news on The Bonaire Insider (on InfoBonaire.com).

Details of Phase One of Bonaire's re-opening can be found here: https://www.infobonaire.com/re-openi...-of-phase-one/

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Update on flights to Bonaire from Governor's speech

The Governor indicated that flights from the Netherlands will resume, with up to 1,000 visitors per week. Flights from the US are still banned, since this is considered a high risk for COVID-19. Flights from Curacao will resume June 12, and Aruba expected thereafter. There will be no quarantine since the ABC islands are considered a bubble of safety. If Aruba or Curacao opens their airspaces to the USA, this inter-island travel will be reevaluated.

Repatriation flights for Bonaire residents off-island to return to Bonaire will be completed this month.

The Governor cautioned residents that if they wish to vacation off-island, and Bonaire subsequently needs to close the airspace again, they are on their own, and Bonaire will not arrange or pay for repatriation again.

This speech was given in Papiamentu and the above points were translated into English by a co-worker, so forgive any errors. The wonderful InfoBonaire will have updated information.

Hope you all continue to be well,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

MelE is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks Kate. I watched it but of course I didn’t understand it.

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by MelE View Post
    Thanks Kate. I watched it but of course I didn’t understand it.
    Me either Mel. I've been taking Papiamentu lessons and can do basic conversations and order in restaurants, but my most commonly used words are still Ablief? ("what does that mean?) and poco poco ("slowly") as in Papia Papiamentu ku mi poco poco - Speak Papiamentu with me slowly.) Most of the island population is at least tri-lingual (Papiamentu, Dutch and English) and many speak other languages in addition to those. It's a humbling experience listening to friends switch back and forth between multiple languages fluently.
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Thank you Kate, your local updates are very much appreciated. The same general conversations are going on in Canada, we do allow some travel to and from the US and other international destinations. But those have to be considered essential services related. Plus they are very much controlled by our Border Agents, there are also some very strict 14 day quarantine laws in place. They do allow pretty much all commercial cross border shipments, by trucks, ships, and cargo aircraft, as that is where we get a lot of our food and other ‘essential’ goods such as California wines 🥳. However, with the recent uptick in Covid-19 numbers in some US States. I feel the return to normal is somewhere down the road. I suspect that the Bonaire and Netherlands medical and government powers are looking at the same data. As much as it pains us not be able to enjoy our beautiful sea side home and our new sailboat, which is now scheduled to arrive in mid July. We know that the safety of the Island inhabitants is critical.

Stay Safe
    S&E Tanton

Hi Everyone! Here's some additional information on Phase One of the re-opening of Bonaire: https://www.infobonaire.com/the-re-o...ils-phase-one/