Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on Bonaire reopening to tourists

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    My presumption is where you have been, not where you are from. So, if an Amsterdamer had been in NYC during the previous two weeks he would need to wait till he had been back to a low-risk place for two weeks. It would work the same if the American had been in Amsterdam for the previous two weeks then flew on to Bonaire.

And that's why the lack of imprecision leads to confusion.
    Yes, I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by agd View Post
    A good observation and an apt menu metaphor. So if they had said “If it ain’t on the menu, you can’t have it”, in this case, words to the effect of “arrivals from other than listed “low risk” countries” that would fit. But after listing the low risk countries, they then go on to talk about high risk countries without defining them. It is definitely a presumption to assume that anything that is not low risk is necessarily high risk since, for example, the next door neighbour, Curaçao, among others, defines countries that are neither high risk nor low risk. Susan’s Info Bonaire link also relies on that same “if it is not white, it must be black” logic, ignoring all the shades of grey and the spectrum on the pallet that are neither. I am not doubting that Susan is in all likelihood fully correct and appreciate the helpful information she provides so I will go along with that presumption. But the language is undeniably imprecise.

Along the same line, Steve’s mention of getting to Bonaire via a double hop of the big pond brings up some interesting questions. Susan’s Info Bonaire link refers to countries from which flights are permitted. Again, it does not say anything about citizenship or, possibly more relevant, the residency of those aboard that flight. So can Steve and Elaine go from Calgary to Amsterdam and on to Bonaire? The assumption would be not, but I have not seen anything that refers to other than the origin of the flight itself.
    So I looked into exactly this and found that I'm not welcome from the US directly into Holland either, but if I was a Canadian, or coming in from Canada, I could pond hop through the Netherlands to Bonaire and be spared the mandatory 2 week stop over in Aruba. I don't want to infect anyone or be infected. I am actually concerned that I might get infected on Aruba where US$ are more important than the heath and safety of the inhabitants. At home in NJ I can keep my distance, wash my hands constantly, and only touch surfaces I cleaned myself. In Aruba, I'll be at the mercy of the concerned hotel staff (lmao).

We are busy in NJ now with marina work and adult kid stuff but plan to head to Bonaire thru wherever we have to stop over in to get back to our house and our Bonairian friends sometime in early October.

If there was more real and factual information about this virus I could make rational decisions, but right now it's like betting red or black on a roulette wheel and the ball can still land on 0 or 00.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So I looked into exactly this and found that I'm not welcome from the US directly into Holland either, but if I was a Canadian, or coming in from Canada, I could pond hop through the Netherlands to Bonaire and be spared the mandatory 2 week stop over in Aruba. I don't want to infect anyone or be infected. I am actually concerned that I might get infected on Aruba where US$ are more important than the heath and safety of the inhabitants. At home in NJ I can keep my distance, wash my hands constantly, and only touch surfaces I cleaned myself. In Aruba, I'll be at the mercy of the concerned hotel staff (lmao).

We are busy in NJ now with marina work and adult kid stuff but plan to head to Bonaire thru wherever we have to stop over in to get back to our house and our Bonairian friends sometime in early October.

If there was more real and factual information about this virus I could make rational decisions, but right now it's like betting red or black on a roulette wheel and the ball can still land on 0 or 00.
    If you would take the route Canada - Amsterdam, you would have to stay in The Netherlands for two weeks.

In addition from a Dutch government website:

Bonaire travel advice

From July 1, 2020, tourists from the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and Germany can fly back to Bonaire, provided they stayed in the departure area for the 14 days before departure. Upon arrival, you are requested to complete and sign a health declaration. The advice is to have a (negative) corona test performed within 72 hours before departure to ensure that quarantine is not necessary. This also applies to residents.

Thanks for all the info Susan. I just wish it was better news.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyQueen View Post
    Thanks for all the info Susan. I just wish it was better news.
    You're welcome! I wish that, too.

It is not "sneaking" if you follow what is being asked, which is to arrive on Aruba with a negative test, and then stay quarantined there for 14 days, and then fill out and follow all Bonaire documentation before travelling to Bonaire. This could also change if the conditions on Aruba change.

American citizens are definitely entering Bonaire currently via Aruba -> Curacao -> Bonaire (in quarantine).
    Seems weird...

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ppartlo View Post
    American citizens are definitely entering Bonaire currently via Aruba -> Curacao -> Bonaire (in quarantine).
    Seems weird...
    The restrictions are not on American citizens, they are on flights from the US.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Flyinv is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Will the official timeline on the restrictions get updated today or tomorrow since its dates for Aug 1?
    I am hoping the new date is beyond my expected trip in October so I can move it more easily.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinv View Post
    Will the official timeline on the restrictions get updated today or tomorrow since its dates for Aug 1?
    I am hoping the new date is beyond my expected trip in October so I can move it more easily.
    Just announced as end of August.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia