Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Musings on Bonaire reopening to tourists

Hi merrill, our place is in the Court area of Sabadeco, it seems a little bit less busy than normal right now. Still some new construction happening in the general area. Hope you can make it down soon with your pup.

The Covid numbers on Bonaire are still going up, today they reported 100 active with 1 in the Hospital. So not really big numbers, by Canada/US/Euro standards, but the daily percentage increases are a bit worrying. We saw lots of medium to large groups at restaurants over the holidays. We are laying a bit lower now than we normally would do, pretty much only going out for groceries (well OK the odd bottle of wine ) and to take our sailboat out with just the two of us for local daysails. Lots of big airplanes coming in each day from Amsterdam, most days have 2 KLM flights.
    S&E Tanton

We are in Shores We just read phase 4 - i think it will be sometime before our family and puppy make it down. it will be worth the wait. Enjoy your visit & definitely get the wine !!! I'm surprised the KLM flights are still coming.

As expected AA took their January flights off the schedule. Looks like next available MIA-BON flight is Feb 13. Assuming permission granted from Bonaire govt.

the Bonaire government does not grant permission -we are a municipality of the Netherlands -it is determined by Holland what flights are allowed and when.

Quote Originally Posted by petri hausmann View Post
    the Bonaire government does not grant permission -we are a municipality of the Netherlands -it is determined by Holland what flights are allowed and when.
    Starting Jan.26 the US will require a negative PCR test for all incoming international travelers. If Bonaire flights resume, there would be 3 Saturday flights to the US and one early morning Sunday flight. I don't see how Bonaire could possibly administer that many tests in such a short amount of time.

Canada just put that rule in place last week. It has caused many problems for folks traveling who cannot easily get a PCR test in many parts of the world within the allotted time frame. I think it was the reason that WestJet, Canada’s second largest airline, just announced it was putting off it plans for a direct Toronto to Bonaire flight. Which was planned to start up on Feb 6th 2020. They now say early next year. They are also cutting back a number of international flights, as they anticipate less people travelling.

Well on Bonaire the Covid number seem to have levelled off after a rise over the weekend. We are back down to 118 Active as of yesterday. The Police have fined and shut down 7 Bars/Restaurants due to Covid violations, they were not named. 9 others that were inspected passed and were allowed to stay open, again no names were mentioned.
    S&E Tanton

Bonaire does not administer the tests - the tests are the responsibility of the passenger 72 hours before traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by petri hausmann View Post
    Bonaire does not administer the tests - the tests are the responsibility of the passenger 72 hours before traveling.
    We've been told that testing is done at Bonlab for $215. They currently do not take appointments and have not had much demand. The Dutch do not need the test for a return flight. If flights to the US resume, there will be a huge demand.

MelE is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

A little more detail from Bonlab from an email they just sent me. They do not take the sample. It has to be done at the clinic across from the hospital then i take the sample to them. They said results come back in 24 hours.

I can only assume the process would streamlined when US flights are allowed into Bonaire.

you assume WRONG---that is the protocol- nothing moves fast in the West Indies- patience is required in the Caribbean!