Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Musings on Bonaire reopening to tourists

Thanks for all the info. I am from the US and I am very depressed over the US being excluded from Bonaire. Don't get me wrong, I think Bonaire is being very responsible about keeping Covid 19 off the island. I'm just depressed that even though I social distance and wear a mask, not everyone in the US is taking this seriously. I doubt whether we will be able to go to Bonaire for Christmas which is another reason to be depressed. Looking at insurance for COVID after purchasing my tickets in February is over $500

Stay safe.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about whats coming off cruise ships than whats coming off aircraft from the U.S. where everyone is required to wear mask in flight and, I assume, would also be required to present a negative COVID test....unless of course cruise ship passengers are seen as presenting shorter term exposure as they typically arrive and depart the same day....I suppose thats a possible consideration...

Kate B is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I hear you. We had a trip planned next week to NY where we rented a lake house for 2 weeks (answering the question if you live on Bonaire, where do you vacation?). We planned to visit our children, family and friends. Were so disappointed that we cant go. However, Im so grateful that the Dutch and island government has responded so well and kept us safe.

I do think by mid fall they will allow US flights to resume assuming that the flights from the Netherlands go well, and assuming the US manages to drop the Infection rates.

Im hopeful your Christmas trip will go as planned.

All the best,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Kate B is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Original articles said there would be no cruise ships till 2021, then the latest press said not before November. Apparently only one cruise ship line has expressed a desire to come back before 2021, I believe it was Pullmantour. Id be surprised if ships return here before 2021 though.
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Hi folks, here is the latest on the extended flight bans to Bonaire: https://www.infobonaire.com/flight-b...ome-countries/

I am pretty disappointed. The latest extension of the flight bans means the earliest date I can return to Bonaire is August 1st. I had to refund my July 11th renter. When I called United and tried to change my July 18th flight from Newark on United to August 1st, United said they are not resuming flights to Bonaire until September 19th from Houston. I booked Delta August 1st. I have my fingers crossed.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I am pretty disappointed. The latest extension of the flight bans means the earliest date I can return to Bonaire is August 1st. I had to refund my July 11th renter. When I called United and tried to change my July 18th flight from Newark on United to August 1st, United said they are not resuming flights to Bonaire until September 19th from Houston. I booked Delta August 1st. I have my fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately, the flight ban has a good reason. It is not that we do not want people from the USA coming to Bonaire (or one of the other islands)
    Its caused by a large number of COVID cases in the USA.
    Social distancing seems to be a problem, and the number of COVID cases keeps increasing.
    I’m afraid that August 1st will be a challenge, because during the celebration of the 4th of July a lot of people will come together.
    The election meetings of one of the candidates might also play a role.
    The Bonaire health system cannot handle a massive outbreak and want to protect its citizens.