Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on Bonaire reopening to tourists

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Based on statistics of 2018:
    The number of visitors arriving on Bonaire by airplane is, on average, 12.000 per month.
    57% is Dutch, 22% is American

The authorities have decided they want to start with 1.000 tourists per week.

When I look at the “normal” number of visitors per month and taking into consideration that Bonaire is Dutch, It does not seem unlogical they start with Dutch tourists.
    It has nothing to do with racism.

It would be great if it's possible to open the island to people fromall countries soon.
    But I'm afraid Corona will bother us for quite some time

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

The problem with using deaths is it is a backwards looking indicator. The US is two weeks behind the Netherlands, so the US death rate would be higher. What was the Netherlands death rate two weeks ago? Unfortunately, there are no statistics that can truly quantify the current situation because the vast differences in testing parameters. As Smits said, on a monthly basis nearly 2.5 times more Dutch residents come to Bonaire, thus with a limited opening, that is their choice. Stating the reason was the high risk in the US is just BS. It likely has more to do with Trump and the fact the US doesn't allow Europeans to travel here. In addition, stating they would shut off travel to other Caribbean countries if those countries open their borders to US travel tells you it is more about politics than anything else.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

Avalpert is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

"The US is two weeks behind the Netherlands, so the US death rate would be higher. What was the Netherlands death rate two weeks ago?"

The US is far more than two weeks behind the trajectory of the Netherlands. Here you can look at each country's case trajectory graphs here: https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries
    and if you want to look at each individually you can seen the daily case and death charts here by clicking on the countries: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

There is really no comparison, the US' trajectory is behind nearly all of Europe and isn't getting better at anything approaching a good rate. Allowing people in from the US is just plain riskier at this point in time - that isn't about Trump or politics, those are the numbers, that is the reality.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My thanks to Tursiops and Avalpert for the suggestions. Here are the per capita death rates based on 7-day moving averages from June 14:
    New Deaths
    Country Population (millions) 7-day moving average as of June 14 Per cap rate: 7-day moving average as of June 14
    US 328 770 2.35
    Netherlands 17 6 0.35
    Brazil 210 984 4.69
    UK 67 165 2.46
    Italy 60 65 1.08
    Mexico 126 480 3.81
    Canada 38 49 1.29
    Germany 83 13 0.16
    Sweden 10 31 3.10

Still interested in your comments. If it were up to me, I would prefer Dutch and Germans to Brazilians and Americans. This is tough to say b/c I am American and I'm waiting to return to Bonaire, too.

I feel the approach that the Bonaire authorities are taking is a prudent way to start opening up the island. I am Canadian and I would just love to be able to go back down sooner rather than later. But I am willing to wait my turn, when Bonaire thinks it is safe for me to return, I will. I think by allowing ‘small’ numbers in from regions who have lower case levels is correct. Of course there are risks, and I also think there will be cases of Covid-19 that are introduced to the island even with the required 72 hour negative test requirements in place. Canada’s internal numbers are interesting, our two biggest Provinces, Ontario and Quebec are struggling much more than the rest of the country to try and bring the curve down. You of course would expert the overall numbers to be higher, because they have a lot more people. But the per capita numbers are also higher. An example is Vancouver Island, a population of just under 900,000, with a higher average age than most places in Canada. They have had just a hand-full of overall cases and recently zero new cases. The hospitalization/death rates have also been very small. Stay Safe.
    S&E Tanton

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Aruba announced today that they will allow US residents to visit starting July 10th. Per the Bonaire and Curacao announced restrictions that means they will stop incoming flights from Aruba. What happens to the KLM flights which fly through Aruba and then to Bonaire? If they pick up passengers in Aruba heading back to the Netherlands who intermingled with the Dutch arriving on Bonaire there is a possibility they have been infected. Is KLM going to stop going to Aruba? Are they going to have special flights that go only to Curacao and Bonaire and skip Aruba????
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

That will create a complex situation.

This is what I read about it in caribbean network:
    https://caribbeannetwork.ntr.nl/2020...ers-on-monday/
    ORANJESTAD – On Monday the 15th of June, Aruba will open her borders with Curaçao and Bonaire, and on July 1st with Europe, Canada, and the Caribbean region (with the exception of the Dominican Republic and Haiti). The border with the United States of America will open on July 10th. That is the country where most tourists come from.
    That last decision is controversial because the other islands in the Kingdom such as the BES and Curaçao will keep their borders with the US closed due to the corona risk. The Netherlands’ advice is to travel to the US if only utterly necessary. The American health authorities’ advice to their own population is for them not to travel outside of the country.
    Test on arrival
    But according to the Aruban health minister, Danqui Oduber, Aruba is following ‘all the advices of the RIVM’. The Dutch health institute recommended that everyone should get tested before they board a flight to Aruba. “But the airlines said that they would cancel all of their flights to Aruba and would start flying to other Caribbean destinations.”
    Obligatory COVID-insurance
    The minister says that this is the reason why the test is required on arrival. Tourists are allowed to take a test in their own country and upload the negative result before departure. Additionally tourists have to fill in an immigration form and health declaration up to 72 hours before their departure.
    A COVID-insurance is also required. “this costs 15 dollars per person per day and cover all of the costs for quarantine and medical care on Aruba. Including intensive care costs”, says Oduber.
    Normally tourists can’t insure themselves for a pandemic. But the Aruban government in collaboration with local insurance companies made this special insurance possible. They did this to ensure that the island isn’t saddled up with health care costs of tourists who contract corona.
    Those who get tested on Aruba have to pay 75 dollars, after which they will go into quarantine for 24 hours at the accommodation they booked. Tourists who test positive have to go into isolation at a separate lodging.
    At least 50 percent fewer tourists
    Aruba is expecting 2000 tourists per week in July. That is 20 percent of the amount that visited the island during the same period last year. Tourism authority ATA expects that 50 to 70 percent fewer tourists will visit the island compared to 2019.
    The border with Central and South America will remain closed for now.

Bon dia, everyone!

Here's a summary of yesterday's press conference: https://www.infobonaire.com/bonaires...fter-covid-19/

You may also find the announcement from the day prior of interest: https://www.infobonaire.com/bonaires...d-eco-tourism/

Stay healthy and well!

Susan

Any word on flights from the states?

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by sidemount View Post
    Any word on flights from the states?
    No word on when flights from US will resume. No cruise ships before November at the earliest. When Aruba opens to US travelers, Bonaire will shut the airspace between Bonaire and Aruba. The US is viewed as a hot spot and there are no plans to reopen to the US at this time. You can get the most up to date information on Bonaire.nu and bes reporter. There is an English version if you click on it.

Hope you’re all well,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire