Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Current Travel Restrictions

I feel the need to chime in here.......I know everyone is eager to know when they can plan their vacations. Trust me, we are all eager for that day, too. This is just my opinion and not based on any fact: The U.S. has about 1/3 of all new daily cases reported. While that figure continues to be high, personally I cannot see the airspace being opened. Holland has the final decision on airspace, but with input from Bonaire. They realize the economic impact of not having tourism, so they are trying to keep us safe, and generally using two-week increments, so that the airspace can be opened as soon as feasible and safe for Bonaire's inhabitants. Airlines do not necessarily synchronize their schedules with Bonaire, so many are making their own forecasts and canceling flights way further in advance than Bonaire's airspace is officially closed. The times are just uncertain, and I realize many much-anticipated vacations are on the line, but we all just have to be flexible here and find the best way possible during these unusual times.

As for quarantine, there is more to quarantining a person than throwing them into a hotel room, turning the key, and walking away for 14 days. These people need to be checked, they need to be supplied with food and cleaning supplies and they need to have a buddy who makes sure they have what they need. It's not just needing a hotel room. So far, the government has done a fantastic job for Bonaire in this crisis. I have no doubt that there is a reason for everything that is done or announced, which we might not necessarily understand or see. Let's have faith that they are continuing to do their best to keep everyone on Bonaire safe and sound and also protect the economy as best they can. As of now, we have no active cases on Bonaire.

Rest assured the future is being discussed. We just do not have details to announce yet, but the government is working on a plan for the future. Just have faith and a little trust. Thank you!

and PATIENCE !!!!!!!!

This just in on the repatriation of Bonaire residents abroad:

Progress in repatriating residents

After evaluation of the first group of returnees that arrived on April 17th, a next repatriation flight will arrive on Bonaire on May 10th, 2020. It regards residents who were stranded in the United States and on Aruba. Considering the logistical complexity, the planning of repatriation is revised almost on a daily basis.

From the United States 42, and from Aruba 12 Bonairean residents have signed up and are eligible for repatriation. Because the U.S. Consulate in Curaçao, organizes a flight to Aruba to repatriate U.S. citizens, Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire have seized this opportunity to have their own stranded residents return home as well. The flight departs from Fort Lauderdale to Aruba. From Aruba, a charter will then be deployed to bring residents back to Bonaire. Residents in both America and Aruba are personally informed about the possibility to participate on this flight.

A previous draft planning of the Repatriation Task Force explored the possibility of bringing back persons from Colombia and the Dominican Republic. Partly due to the current lockdown in the Dominican Republic, this is currently not feasible. However, the repatriation of residents from Colombia will continue, meanwhile over 20 residents have returned. The remaining residents from Colombia will be brought back as soon as the care and shelter capacity allows this again.

Complex process
    In order to reduce the risk of spreading of the coronavirus, it is important that repatriation takes place in a controlled and phased way. As there are still more than 250 residents spread across over 20 countries, it is a logistically complex process. Local measures in the different countries, available flights and the most efficient means of deployment should be taken into account. At the same time, local care and shelter capacity must not be overburdened. That is why scheduling is reviewed almost daily.

Currently effort is being made to expand the local care and shelter capacity so that larger groups can be repatriated simultaneously and the process of bringing everyone home can be shortened. However, the situation worldwide is changing on a daily basis. Therefore, residents who are stranded abroad are personally informed as soon as a specific date for the next flight has been set and whether they are eligible to partake.

Here is a link to the latest news about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and Bonaire. https://www.infobonaire.com/bonaire-...9-coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by susan View Post
    I feel the need to chime in here.......I know everyone is eager to know when they can plan their vacations. Trust me, we are all eager for that day, too. This is just my opinion and not based on any fact: The U.S. has about 1/3 of all new daily cases reported. While that figure continues to be high, personally I cannot see the airspace being opened. Holland has the final decision on airspace, but with input from Bonaire. They realize the economic impact of not having tourism, so they are trying to keep us safe, and generally using two-week increments, so that the airspace can be opened as soon as feasible and safe for Bonaire's inhabitants. Airlines do not necessarily synchronize their schedules with Bonaire, so many are making their own forecasts and canceling flights way further in advance than Bonaire's airspace is officially closed. The times are just uncertain, and I realize many much-anticipated vacations are on the line, but we all just have to be flexible here and find the best way possible during these unusual times.

As for quarantine, there is more to quarantining a person than throwing them into a hotel room, turning the key, and walking away for 14 days. These people need to be checked, they need to be supplied with food and cleaning supplies and they need to have a buddy who makes sure they have what they need. It's not just needing a hotel room. So far, the government has done a fantastic job for Bonaire in this crisis. I have no doubt that there is a reason for everything that is done or announced, which we might not necessarily understand or see. Let's have faith that they are continuing to do their best to keep everyone on Bonaire safe and sound and also protect the economy as best they can. As of now, we have no active cases on Bonaire.

Rest assured the future is being discussed. We just do not have details to announce yet, but the government is working on a plan for the future. Just have faith and a little trust. Thank you!

Susan,

First and foremost - Thank you.

I am not a vacationer, I’m a home owner paying my non-resident property taxes and losing both my renters income and more importantly my personal enjoyment of my home on Bonaire. I respect and accept the local government’s restrictions and will survive the economic and personal disappointments. I continue to employ my caretaker, gardener, pool company, security company, WEB, STINAPA, Telbo & Flamingo - I’m just so so sad I can’t visit MY own home. I just found out United cancelled our June 27th flight from Newark.

I’m glad you are all safe and hope you are all staying sane and healthy. Keep us posted. I will be on the first US flight back to visit my second home.

AA out of Los Angeles was $5500 on Monday but checked tonight and they are $4,053 and it looks like they are using United to depart since they both show one departure at 6:25am

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Susan,

First and foremost - Thank you.

I am not a vacationer, I’m a home owner paying my non-resident property taxes and losing both my renters income and more importantly my personal enjoyment of my home on Bonaire. I respect and accept the local government’s restrictions and will survive the economic and personal disappointments. I continue to employ my caretaker, gardener, pool company, security company, WEB, STINAPA, Telbo & Flamingo - I’m just so so sad I can’t visit MY own home. I just found out United cancelled our June 27th flight from Newark.

I’m glad you are all safe and hope you are all staying sane and healthy. Keep us posted. I will be on the first US flight back to visit my second home.
    Chris, I can certainly empathize with you. I have friends and neighbors who have been stuck elsewhere in the world. Two are back just now and are in quarantine, others are still waiting to get back to Bonaire.

Although I can't offer any suggestions on your missing your second home (other than following the Bringing Bonaire To You initiative--https://www.infobonaire.com/about-bo...image-gallery/), I can offer you some suggestions on the costs you are incurring while you do not have rental income. Do check with your property manager on these points: Some taxes have been deferred, at least three months. If the situation continues longer, that will probably get extended. For tax deferral, you do need to ask for it and be approved. Just this week, another aid package was announced. All WEB and Internet connections will get discounts starting May 1st through the end of the year. There is nothing you need to do here, it will happen automatically. The Internet discount is $25.00 per month and the WEB discount varies depending upon the type of connection.

Lastly, I am so happy to hear you'll be the first person on the first plane back! We can't wait to be able to welcome our visitors (including second-homeowners) back again. The island is strangely quiet without all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalDiver View Post
    AA out of Los Angeles was $5500 on Monday but checked tonight and they are $4,053 and it looks like they are using United to depart since they both show one departure at 6:25am
    Curious what Monday you were looking at.

Today on AA
    Lax to Bonaire

LAXBON

11:53 PM

2:42 PM
    11h 49m

1 stopOpens 1 stop pop-up for LAX to BON, departing at 11:53 PM

Round Trip $4,048

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalDiver View Post
    Today on AA
    Lax to Bonaire

LAXBON

11:53 PM

2:42 PM
    11h 49m

1 stopOpens 1 stop pop-up for LAX to BON, departing at 11:53 PM

Round Trip $4,048
    ?? That makes no sense at all. Google flights shows nothing, and Bonaire is closed to flights going from the US.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia