Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Current Travel Restrictions

I just got off the phone with United. They are currently accepting reservations from Newark on July 11th. My house is booked and rented already through VRBO for 7/11 to 7/18 so I booked 7/18 - 8/1 with United. FYI - business class r/t was airfare was $1800 per ticket non stop from Newark. It was $2,300 at the end of March when I could not go.

Of course, Bonaire might still not let us in. Iím hoping but not overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I just got off the phone with United. They are currently accepting reservations from Newark on July 11th. My house is booked and rented already through VRBO for 7/11 to 7/18 so I booked 7/18 - 8/1 with United. FYI - business class r/t was airfare was $1800 per ticket non stop from Newark. It was $2,300 at the end of March when I could not go.

Of course, Bonaire might still not let us in. Iím hoping but not overly optimistic.
    I don't think there is any correlation between an airlines willingness to sell you a ticket and the likelihood that you will be able to actually take that flight. At this point they may just be selling to keep a cash flowing to help them out. There is little downside from them as they get the cash now and if the flight is cancelled they push the extended free rescheduling but that requires you to pay the higher price later on the rescheduled flight if higher with no refund or credit if the rescheduled flight is less. True they are required to refund if they cancel but you have to really push for the refund and they probably figure most won't.

I see airlines still selling tickets to grand cayman for June-August even though GC announced three days ago they are closed until at least September.

Hmmm.

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by tkaelin View Post
    I don't think there is any correlation between an airlines willingness to sell you a ticket and the likelihood that you will be able to actually take that flight.
    I think you’re right. Even when Bonaire residents here return home, they are subject to a guarded 2 week quarantine at a central location. The return of tourists would be dependent on their country of origin and the outbreak status there. The first non residents to visit Bonaire would likely be people staying for an extended period of time on Bonaire, since the first two weeks would be in quarantine, which would not work for one or two week vacations.

The government website and bes reporter on May 8 note that:
    “The borders of Bonaire will remain closed to the Netherlands, the United States and to other countries. This is still necessary due to the wide spread of the virus in these countries and the associated real risk of transmission in Bonaire. For Bonairians staying in the Netherlands and other countries who want to return home, measures are being taken. This also applies to residents who are essential workers. In these cases quarantine
    at a central location is the only safe way for people from the Netherlands and other countries to re-enter.”

Last edited by ModRoy; 05-10-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote box
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

If I swim to Bonaire can I stay?

Quote Originally Posted by pillpusher View Post
    I just looked myself and I also show $708-$768.Attachment 19355

Screenshot (2).jpg I cannot see what you are getting

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalDiver View Post
    Sorry, can't read the little attachment. Too fuzzy.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalDiver View Post

wow, with this ticket it takes about 30 hours to arrive in Bonaire!!

pillpusher is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I can't help but to think at this point that Bonaire is going to remain closed off until a vaccine is available. Realistically, this virus isn't going away until that happens, and people will continue to test positive for it. The stay at home orders were made to slow the spread to give time to find viable treatment options, and so that a rapid infection rate wouldn't overwhelm the healthcare system when supplies and vents weren't readily available. Bonaire is taking an approach where they just don't want it on the island at all, which is understandable considering the limited resources there. I just worry whether or not the economy there can withstand that with so much of it being tourist driven.

I tend to agree with Pillpusher....plane loads of people coming into Bonaire every day anytime in the near future seems risky to me...we've already pushed a May 2020 trip into May 2021 and I've still got a mid September 2020 trip set up...thinking now of also pushing that into next April - Summer 2021 time frame....any input on this from knowledgeable (who might know something I don't....i.e how long do you suspect airport will be closed for example) Bonaire locals would be appreciated.....

Yeah, my wife and I made the very difficult decision to not even try to go on our usual October trip to Bonaire this year. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of maybe getting flights, only to have them cancelled. It's 2021 for Bonaire for us, unfortunately.