Thread: Update on coronavirus

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Update on coronavirus

Hi everyone,

We are fortunate that there are still no confirmed cases of the virus on Bonaire. Dutch islands Statia and Saba have just reported their first cases, joining Aruba, St.Martin and Curaçao.

Starting today, Bonaire is offering drive through testing by appointment, where people can be tested without leaving their car.

We are so impressed with the way the Dutch and local government handled this crisis. Early on, we received pamphlets in our mailboxes with information about the virus, and instructions for social distancing and hand washing.

The Dutch government sent Bonaire ample coronavirus tests, medical supplies and medical personnel from Holland in case of an outbreak.

They also banned cruise ships from docking, followed by the shutdown of air travel from Europe, then the US, then all passenger air traffic.

Knowing that the loss of tourism would hurt the island economy, the government offered financial support to businesses to help them keep paying their employees, as well as stipends to those who lost their jobs or were self-employed. There is tax leniency and assistance.

The Dutch government responded quickly and effectively, guided by knowledge and compassion. The local government has kept us informed, and assisted those who need it.

Ian and I are really grateful to live here.

We miss you all, and hope to see you when this crisis lifts. We hope you all stay healthy.

Warm wishes,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

That's very good to hear Kate, thank you for sharing

Kate,

Thank you for the update. We will be back down just as soon as the Travel Restrictions are lifted. We are doing our best to help the local Bonaire economy by having some work done on our home while we are away. As I write this I am looking outside at a Winter ‘Wonderland’ of snow and ice. But I do go online and view my Pool-Cam everyday to at least look at the palm trees, the sea and warm sunny weather.

Stay Safe,
    Steve & Elaine
    S&E Tanton

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck52 View Post
    Kate,
    We are doing our best to help the local Bonaire economy by having some work done on our home while we are away.

Stay Safe,
    Steve & Elaine
    That is fantastic that this is possible in Bonaire.
    I tried to have some work done at our villas in Curacao, but that was not allowed leaving small businesses without income