Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back to the USA

Default Getting back to the USA

Well, I never thought I'd ask this question but how do we arrange transportation back to the US?
    Do we need to contact the consulate? If so, does someone have a contact number for us.?

I don't imagine AA can get us off island if they are not flying her..
    wetwillie1948@aol.com

I would hope that the US based Airlines who flew people in would also send empty flights down, much like what I understand KLM did over the last few days. I would try and reach out to your airline and ask them. I am not sure on Bonaire, but I would think Aruba or Curacao would have some US consulate contacts that might help. I am sure you will not be forgotten, but it could be a wee-bit frustrating trying to get home. Stay calm, stay positive.
    S&E Tanton

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by WetWillie View Post
    Well, I never thought I'd ask this question but how do we arrange transportation back to the US?
    Do we need to contact the consulate? If so, does someone have a contact number for us.?

I don't imagine AA can get us off island if they are not flying her..
    wetwillie1948@aol.com
    AA is your first point-of-contact. You contracted with them for a round-trip.
    The nearest consulate is https://cw.usconsulate.gov/.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Hi Willie,

We bailed on the last American flight in after we got word from our innkeeper of the Governor's announcement of petitioning the Netherlands to shut down US flights. Our bags were literally at the door and we were t minus 4 hours to departure. We were pretty sure we would get there but had the same concerns about getting back, so we called customer service.

The response was pretty much what you'd expect from a corporate employee who knows they are being recorded and wants to keep their job, but asking the same question many different ways and getting a few "let me check on that"s the rep told us that American views the Miami flight as essentially a single trip, with the the same crew and plane only with different passengers, and if their were no passengers going down, there wouldn't be any coming back. Because Bonaire was not on the suspended list yet, but St Martin was, I asked her the hypothetical of if we had flown into St Martin yesterday before they suspended, could we expect to be on a plane march 30th back to Miami as per our tickets? Without a moment of hesitation she said no. I thanked her and after a few desultory disappointing minutes of discussion about refunds and credits, hung up and cancelled our flights. In my mind the likelihood of being stuck in Bonaire had gone from possible to probable.

This was to be our 14th trip to Bonaire in 22 years. To say we are disappointed would be a gross understatement. Please bear in mind our information may not be correct today as it is surely an evolving situation. My advice would be to start Calling AA now. They have a neat feature where they call you back so you don't have to sit around with the phone to your ear for hours, looking like an idiot.

Let us know how you do. Good luck!

OK I finally contacted someone from AA who knew something. The said we are not able to get off Island til Early May...
    We have rebooked for that time. I took me 4 calls to AA to get someone who was VERY knowledgeable .... the other folks kept telling me that AA was STILL flying.... and would not hear otherwise....... We were supposed to leave April 11th. While I love being here it's very difficult being told you cannot go home.... YET? So here we go.... thank you all for your very kind responses...... XXXOOO

Thank you for the reminder..... you da best.....

It is my understanding that the last American Airlines flight out of Bonaire will be March 23rd, this weekend. If you want to get back home, I would recommend you get back in touch with AA immediately.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I have guests from The Netherlands staying in our villas in Curacao. They had planned to travel to Bonaire and from there to The Netherlands. No flights from Curacao to Bonaire for non-citizens of Bonaire.
    They hope they will be able to return to The Netherlands in about a week from now.

Default AA not answering

Quote Originally Posted by susan View Post
    It is my understanding that the last American Airlines flight out of Bonaire will be March 23rd, this weekend. If you want to get back home, I would recommend you get back in touch with AA immediately.
    We tried to confirm that AA last flight was on march 23rd no luck, our flight is supposed to be on April 3rd... no update from them still shows as a go. How good is your information? Just wondering.

Queentriger

Quote Originally Posted by queentrigger View Post
    We tried to confirm that AA last flight was on march 23rd no luck, our flight is supposed to be on April 3rd... no update from them still shows as a go. How good is your information? Just wondering.

Queentriger
    The information is coming out of the airport as quickly as they receive it from the airlines. American Airlines stops flights March 23rd and begins again May 8th.