Thread: T-Shirts ...... Days 3 & 4

Default T-Shirts ...... Days 3 & 4

We stood in the shallows at Tori’s Reef. Leslie (Double L) loosened the straps on her mask and slid it off her face, taking care not to snag her hair.

Wide-eyed, she looked at me, barely able to contain herself. “That’s one of the best dives I’ve ever done,” she said.

Over the years, we’d dove Tori’s countless times. And we’ve had many great dives on Bonaire, too many to remember the specifics of. To declare this one of the best was putting herself out there, so to speak.

But I had to agree. This dive was wonderful. The significance grabbed hold of me as we slid along the reef.. A sense of something special, of knowing this was right. Call it Zen, or whatever you want, and as cheesy as it sounds, the dive was magical. Like a hitter who knows by the feel of the bat striking the ball that a homer is imminent, I knew this dive would be a hit with my dive partners.

“Yeah,” my brother, Tim, said. “Awesome.”

Like Ralphie opening his Red Rider BB Gun on Christmas morning; All was right with the world.

It was more than the large midnight parrot fish, the two free-swimming green morays that approached and circled us multiple times, or the spotted eagle ray that hung within sight of us as it fed near the buoy line. No current, good visibility, and everyone doing a good job of managing their air, made this such a relaxing dive.

Extraordinary.

Yes, one of the best.

A couple of days ago, Double L and I met my brother, Tim, at Flamingo Airport. He’s on the island to spend a week with us diving, relaxing, and enjoying paradise. Of course, Les and I had a cold Bright waiting for him when he excited the luggage area. To my surprise, he had something much more profound for me.

He wore a t-shirt depicting my debut novel -- the cover, my name, and where it’s available. Unbeknownst to me, he had a bunch of them made! Grassroots marketing at its best.

“I gave away ten on the airplane,” he said. “And a few to people at Atlanta waiting for departure.” He took a swig of his bright, then ginned. “On the flight, the guy across the aisle from me leaned over and asked if I had a medium for his wife.”

“I hope you said yes,” I said.

Tim’s eyebrows scrunched. “Of course.”

For the last few days, we keep watching for people on the island wearing Diver’s Paradise t-shirts. We know there’s at least ten people who have them. So far, no luck, but the trip is still young.

By the way, Tim’s 70th dive was the one we did on on Tori’s Reef. Way to go, little bro.

For dinner, we ate downtown, along the oceanfront at Karel’s bar. I’ve always loved this place and the food was good. Perfect place to have a drink, people watch, and feel the nighttime vibe of Bonaire. As a matter of fact, it’s the inspiration for Vinny’s, the seaside joint in my novel where Roscoe hangs out.

“Hope tomorrow is as good as today,” Double L said as we sipped Brights and watched the sunset.

“I’m sure it will be,” I said.

Dive on Friends.

Dave & Leslie.

About the book -- well, since it is being compared to a Doc Ford book -- I will get one. Randy Wayne White is one of my favorite authors and he has a new one out this month!! Good reading for me, two new books.

Congrats!!

Bea

Dave and Double L,

Glad you made it back there for another vacation. And we look forward to reading your semi-daily posts; always entertaining!

We’re eying a late fall trip. It’ll be hot as hades but hey, that’s better than freezing cold and snow, innit? Have you even been there late October/early November? Will we regret it?

DiiveSergeant

DS -- you won't regret it. last time we came i October, there was a wind reversal. East side was fglat and easy diving. saw two sharks!

Dave.

That’d be way cool!

We know we can get the time off from work, we know where we’ll stay, we know where we’l rent dive tanks and the truck, now we have just got to find airfare that doesn’t require a second mortgage!