Thread: Trip Questions

Default Trip Questions

Traveling to Bonaire this weekend and curious about what would be an adequate amount of cash to bring for a week. Will have a credit card, but want to have cash as well. Also, I understand I will need a power adapter, correct? Thanks for any insights!

larrygross is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Many resorts and rooms have US style electricity, so it depends on where you stay. As for money, ATMs are readily available around town and in grocery stores, so there's really no need to carry, and worry about, a bunch of cash, in my opinion. Have fun!

Thank you Larry! I'm staying in a private home and the owner says it has 130V and 230V electricity. Guess I just need to make sure I have the correct adapter!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Maybe, but check your gadgets. Many will operate on either, e.g., computers, phone chargers, etc.

The 130v will probably be US style connector so your standard plug will likely fit. BUT Bonaire AC is 50Hz instead of the 60Hz in the states. You should check whatever you plug into it can handle that frequency. My phone charger for example specifically lists INPUT: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz so works fine, but I think not all appliances can handle the variance.
    Even with that I burned up a phone charger once on Bonaire when I left it plugged in all the time, even when not using it. Stopped working. Coincidence?
    Have a great trip.

Most computer, cell phone & battery chargers work fine with Bonaire 125-130v power without any adapter. The vast majority of restaurants and grocery stores take MasterCard & Visa. Bring a couple of hundred bucks for ice cream & taxiís. A smart item to bring is a quality 110V US surge protector power strip - WEB electricity voltage fluctuates and there are voltage surges.

There are ATM's, but the fee I got for using one once was $12.50! I generally bring a few hundred $ in cash.

Also be aware that some credit cards will charge"international fees" when the cards are used in Bonaire. the card companies differ in their policies. Consult your card service before you go. the fees can be higher than you would anticipate.
    You don't have to ask me how I know!
    Vann
    Nobody is born knowing how to dive; we must practice, practice, practice.

WE have a debit card that charges no fees. We load it up during the year, and use that almost exclusively for groceries, restaurant meals, and souvenirs (though I mostly buy gifts now, as we've been there so often)..

Default No fee credit card

We visit Bonaire yearly and now use my TD CASH CARD VISA CREDIT CARD. It has no international fees. We use it at our hotel, restaurants, truck rental and any thing else we purchase. Itís our go to card. It also gives you points for purchases that you can get cash or credit towards your payment t due.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacoach View Post
    Traveling to Bonaire this weekend and curious about what would be an adequate amount of cash to bring for a week. Will have a credit card, but want to have cash as well. Also, I understand I will need a power adapter, correct? Thanks for any insights!