Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Slick Ladder

Default Oil Slick Ladder

Anyone know if all of the rungs are on the ladder...for exit purposes?
    Seems that for several years, the bottom rung was missing or was in bad shape
    We're on Bonaire now, and would like to save ourselves the trip if anyone can help.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by raefordbrown; 09-13-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: For some reason, it duplicated an earlier post.

Since this site is adjacent to STINAPA headquarters it would be a great service for STINAPA to maintain this ladder at oil slick. The price increase in the marine park tag should be able to economically handle this situation. STINAPA has had a position of not maintaining the shoreline . Since the last step of the latter is in the water, STINAPA should own up to itís responsibility to the dive Community .

I agree. The organization does a great job, has for many years.
    A decent ladder on this nice dive site would be great, especially for a couple divers like my buddy and me. Together, we've been diving for 111 years....54 for me, 57 for him.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

ok so Royce Balak here--we stayed for 2-months and bottom 2-steps were missing and wife could not get out so I went down with hand tools and sawed off bolts on next to bottom and installed the step---other one was more than difficult so I never for it done, and not to say bad things about service and maintenance but they do little or nothing as the bottom step was missing in January 2018. I would lay some odds that if they were told now when we arrive January 31 that nothing would be fixed. Not trying to be mean but rather honest---secretly I think my wife hopes they are not fixed as such things drive me nuts and I will spend a day or 2 fixing them and out of her hair! Cornhusker

My buddy and I will likely drop by Monday or Tuesday to ask them a few questions. I'll post what they have to say.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

thanks for the efforts----when we arrive January 31 I will try to remember to post the updated data on ladder status.

randl is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There's more. A few weeks ago there was talk here about the wind reversal that caused big surf on the west side. One of the middle steps departed that day. I wonder if that one has been replaced. It's been a bit more than a month.

STINAPA does not maintain entrances for any of the shore dive sites. Would be nice if they did.

Many Caribbean Club owners have voted to pay for the repairs. Unless we have a big reversal in how the votes are going, we should have 4 new planks on the deck and 3 new steps on the ladder in a few weeks.
    Royce - I'm sure you'll find more to do down there in Feb

Trent's right. We stopped by today, and it is not part of STINAPA's duties.
    The ladder was apparently installed by the hotel operation.
    We were thinking that the maintenance could be done by the dive shops, with visitors, like us, paying a modest fee every trip. I would have no problem is there is an organized plan.

Since it is STINAPAS position to not maintain the shoreline , Who is responsible for painting the yellow rocks with each dive sites location ? Furthermore who is blocking off the access to some of the dive sites with large boulders which has occurred for example at Margate?