Thread: Internet

Default Internet

Greetings everyone!

I've read some older posts regarding limited internet speed. I'm assuming it's still the same (as I remember the frustration trying to somewhat work remotely on vaca back in 2016). But throwing it out there to see if there has been any improvement?

Best to all,
    -Kristin

Kristin, it will all depend on where you live. Telbo has and continues to install fiber into the homes throughout the island. We have 50Mb and they offer up to 100Mb. That said, with concrete construction, the fiber modem and WiFi access point can have limited reach in many homes. We have our own AP attached and get coverage throughout. hope that helps.

Hi Kristen,

I have a home in Sabadeco, where the TELBO fibre does not run yet. They have told me they have no idea when they might extend the fibre network out our way. So I am on there copper wire DSL system I am on there 10 Mbps plan, but I typically get about 6 Mbps download and about a 1.5 Mbps upload. My place is on the large side 3 stories and concrete construction, which is the norm on Bonaire. I installed a Linksys 3 node wireless system that gives me good coverage inside and out on the decks. I have not looked into the Flamingo Internet service. We are not big bandwidth users so the 6 is OK, but just OK.
    S&E Tanton

Thanks for the info....but can you let me know what a "AP" is?

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

AP means access point

Thanks for the info. If I were to work remotely for my current company (if they even allow me to do so)....I need to download and manipulate large data files, etc. I thought I read somewhere that the actual underwater cable to the island was limited hence the entire island's speed.

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by kcmiller10 View Post
    Greetings everyone!

I've read some older posts regarding limited internet speed. I'm assuming it's still the same (as I remember the frustration trying to somewhat work remotely on vaca back in 2016). But throwing it out there to see if there has been any improvement?

Best to all,
    -Kristin
    Hi Kristin,
    We also live in Sabadeco and the other posters are correct, fiber optic is not here yet. We switched our provider from Telbo to Flamingo, which provides 20 Mb service. My husband is a software engineer who works remotely and he has not had any problems with our Flamingo service.

All the best,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire