Thread: Grocery Store Items

Default Grocery Store Items

Bonaire Grocery Stores

I am preparing a guide for our group that will be traveling to Bonaire at the end of July. We are staying in a villa and will be cooking a great deal. To make the most of our time I want to give our group some information about where we should all be shopping to get what we need.

I have reviewed information previously shared on this forum and from other sources - however I would expect such information to be dynamic - would probably be dated within a few months. I do have a handful of specific questions but would appreciate any other comments.

1. We will be grilling so we need charcoal - where is a good place to get charcoal?
    2. We will be grilling meat. Certainly fish will be on the menu but beef will be served as well. Where is a good place to buy beef steaks and roasts?
    3. Tomato sauce, paste or puree. We will likely have pasta with tomato sauce at least once. Where is a good place to get this?
    4. Tortillas and shredded cheese. We could keep my 13 year old son happy for 8 days by making sure he has tortillas and cheese. Where would one go for this.

Thanks,
    Russ

Warehouse

Beef is almost all imported since Bonaire does not have a cattle/ dairy industry. Pork is locally produced and chicken. For quality beef you might want to try Van der Tweel or Carniceria Latino in Niki Boco.The carniceria also sells the locally produced charcoal which is the very best to use here.

Bonaire Food Group is the local wholesaler which supplies restaurants in bulk. They have had a recent change in ownership, and are now open to the public once again. Since you state you have a "group," perhaps buying in larger quantities will probable save you some money. They do normally stock meats, large containers of your tomato sauce, paste, or puree, and large bags of shredded cheese--cheddar and mozzarella that I know about. I have also seen tortillas there, but you can probably get them anyway.

I have found that BonDigro normally has a nice selection of roasts--pork loin, pork tenderloin, but I'm not sure about beef since I don't particular eat a lot of it, and am never looking. Check them out. And I second Petri's comment about Carniceria Latina in Nikiboko for nice meats.

glad to learn Bonaire Food Group is now open to the public!

My experience in late June was that Van Den Tweel had the best selection of fresh beef/chicken. Warehouse had some meats but nothing I wanted to buy. BonDiGro had no fresh meats. We ended up purchasing 3 steaks from Van Den Tweel and they were good. I would buy them again. They are individually vacuum sealed. I saw ribeye, NY strip, and T-bone. They also had a good selection of chicken, ground beef, and some pork. They also had some larger variety packs that might be good for a small group. i don't recall any roasts, but I wasn't looking for them. We also made homemade spaghetti sauce. I pre-mixed all the spices in a ziplock baggie and brought in my checked bag. You can get canned tomato sauce and paste at Van Den Tweel as well.

We had a hard time finding what we (in the USA) consider traditional breakfast sausage. I thought we bought some at Van Den Tweel but it tasted more like plain ground pork. Then we purchased frozen links from the Warehouse. They were better.

I think i saw charcoal at both van Den Tweel and Warehouse. It's tends to be easy to find.

The good thing is there are several grocery stores right there on the same road, so you can easily shop around. There is also a good ABC store across from Van Den Tweel (wine, liquor) with much better selections than the grocery stores.

We buy our charcoal at Kooyman and our cheese and tortillas at Bon di gro....

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

We purchased a good sized beef tenderloin at BonDiGro - great price, and great eating for evening grilling.

LOVE the marinated pork belly at VanDenTweels!! We also will pick up their prepared and marinated variety packs. Decent price, toss it on the grill and you're good to go.