Thread: Importing Orchid/Plant Collection

Default Importing Orchid/Plant Collection

Hi all,

I'm considering moving onto island to be with my family this autumn.

However, one of the things i'm trying to find info on is who to contact and what restrictions there are regarding importing plants onto the island.

I have a collection of about 100 species/hybrid orchids that mean a lot to me and was hoping to be able to at least take some of the more important specimens.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

- Dan

contact STINAPA.

I agree with petri on STINAPA as a first point of contact. Perhaps also do some ‘Google’ searches on allowable plant imports into Bonaire. Are you coming directly to Bonaire, or through another country? That might matter as Bonaire might be OK with Orchids, but others may not, even in transit. I wish you the best of luck. My wife is a big Orchid fan, we built a Greenhouse in Calgary Canada mostly to house her collection. There are certainly on the Island, we have one that is part way up a Coconut Tree at our place. We can not bring any down to Bonaire as we fly from Canada to the US and then onto Bonaire. All the best!
    S&E Tanton

STINAPA it is!

@Canuck52, it would just be US to Bonaire, so no intermediary. Your wives greenhouse sounds like a dream! I mainly grow tiny stuff under lights. I did search for some of the native Bonarian orchids and was able to find some cultivated Myrmecophila.

Thank you all!

CattMan -

You might also want to contact the customs office (Douane): https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/contact...ribisch-gebied

and this page can also be helpful: https://www.belastingdienst-cn.nl/douane/nl/

As far as i know Bonaire doesn't really have any restrictions on importing plant, unless the plants or animals involved are covered by the CITES treaty covering endangered species.

Let me know what you find out.

Good luck!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com