Thread: Input from others on diving Flordia Keys Please

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Input from others on diving Flordia Keys Please

Looking to take a trip from midwest down to dive the keys and wonder if anyone has been diving in the area as I would like their input as to suggestions on dive operators in the various keys and places to stay. Looking to use AB&B for some of the stay and likely some hotel/motel along the way. Leaving midwest and plan to stay about a week in the area and then head back up to Naples to see college friends and play some golf and then head back home. I asked my wife if she wanted to have me borrow a friends RV for the trip and she gave me the stink eye...........which was a nice way to say not on your life! Thanks all and look forward to hearing from everyone. Bonaire booked January 31-March 30 and going to bring along my KC Chief's flag for all to see again as last year had a lot of fun with them there easterners...until we lost. cornhusker

Hello Cornhusker-
    I did my check dives in Key West back in 1995. We tried to go back a few years later but had to cancel as they were evacuating all The Keys due to a hurricane.

The person I used was a 1 man operation, and has since left the area. Interestingly enough, the owner of Carib Inn, Bruce Bowker, knew my instructor!

We had flown into Key West, rent a car for the week and move up every few days to an different Key. It was fun seeing all the funky stores, restaurants and sites on the dive.

The middle Key we stayed at Hawk Cay resort. More expensive but a nice property. https://www.hawkscay.com/ Their dive operation was good.

In Key Largo we stayed at a Howard Johnson. Certainly cheaper.

Keep in mind that the reefs are a few miles out and not like on Bonaire.

Wherever you go and stay I hope you have a great time!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We lived in Miami for more than a decade until 1996, and dove with Quiescence (http://keylargodiving.com/) in Key Largo for hundreds of dives. All their boats are 6 packs and sometimes we were the only two on the boat. Even with six, it's a very different experience from the big boats.

Haven't been in more than 15 years, but looking at the photos under "About" on their website, it looks just the same.

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

thanks for the reply--planning on taking it easy and possibly staying for 3-4 days on lower keys and will look this up. We have been on boat dives from big 24+ to smaller ones on Belize and always focus on not the boat ride but the dive into the water! Thanks and looking ahead to the trip and input from others. Still working on plans on places to stay in the various keys and no rush but it will be a great 2-week trip Cornhusker