Thread: Snorkeling Saba?

Default Snorkeling Saba?

Has anyone ever snorkeled Saba? We've been snorkeling Bonaire for 35 years and will return for 5 weeks this winter. However, I've read that the waters around Saba are also a marine park and that there really aren't any beaches. Sounds a lot like Bonaire on a much smaller scale. We're wondering if snorkel sites are accessible from the road as they are in Bonaire.

Not really. Saba is a mountain-top sticking out of the ocean. There is some snorkeling in shallows in Saba, but I do believe it is boat access. From what I remember from my visits, there really isn't shore access around the island, like Bonaire.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I agree with Susan. As I recall from our visit two decades ago, there isn't even a shore road around the island. There may be one or two beaches at road ends that could be snorkeled. There is no shore diving from Saba either.

My famiy is from saba and i can assure you there are places to snorkle, Fort bay is the main bay where the ferry comes in, and wells bay all accessable by road. Depending on the tides/currents wells bay may have beautiful black sand beach,however it may be here today and gone tomorrow, and dont lay there if it is in because there is a rocky cliff that rises several hundred feet straight up. Ladder bay makes 1000 steps in Bonaire a joke, 800 steps give or take a few, You definately need water shoes because there really arent any beaches. There is also an area near the airport called the cove bay. Any diving definately requires a boat but the rides are usually very quick.