Thread: Fun Experience at Empire Cinema

Default Fun Experience at Empire Cinema

We all know that most people come to Bonaire for the diving or snorkelling however there are other activities that you might want to consider especially when you have children in tow.

I hosted my family including 4 nephews at the villa we rented (Piet Boon Villas are my favourite) and it so happened that Captain Marvel was being released a day earlier than the North American cinemas.

We showed up, paid for tickets ($10 USD) and plopped the provided lawn chairs where we wished and had a fun time. It's like a drive in but no cars. Open air, stars above, fresh air, fresh popped and Thai food if you want (wha??!! Genius, I know!). I think most of the items on the menu need to be ordered in advance although they had a Thai burger that night. We had already eaten dinner so next time!

The movie was in English with Dutch subs. Good picture quality considering its outdoors and good sound plus NO trailers or commercials. They have the latest Hollywood releases but don't expect the same selection as back home.

We didn't know about Empire until a couple we met on Curacao mentioned it. Will definitely go back. Highly recommended!

Tip: you can bring your own lawn chairs and on cooler nights bring a towel or blanket. Also there is no roof so if it rains...

https://www.empirebonaire.com/

Patrick

Thanks for your report Patrick, I'll add the info to our "Other activities other than diving" section in FAQs
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

It's a wonderful experience, a fun way to see a first run movie and the food is great. It's worth going. Joan & Alan

I agree. We never miss a movie there on all of our trips

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I looked at their web site and no address-------help please as will add to our 2020 trip plans. Cornhusker out

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    I looked at their web site and no address-------help please as will add to our 2020 trip plans. Cornhusker out
    oooh well spotted Royce, I'll add the address to their entry on our FAQ....

found on Facebook....

Attached Images Attached Images
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
    I see Roy is adding the address. It's still a little tricky to find, especially at night. Driving up the main road from town, go past the Hato roundabout till you see Bon Bida spa (light blue building on the right) Turn right just BEFORE it (if you pass Bon Bida and Perla Boneriano, you've gone too far) It will look like you're in their dirt parking lot, but keep going, it's a road. Bon Bida condos will be on your left, and you'll see Empire Theatre on your right at the end of the dirt road. It doesn't have a large sign, you just turn in and park and go up to the wooden door in the high concrete wall.

This is a terrific theater, with outdoor seating (they provide the seats but you can also bring your own) and you can order Thai food, wine, beer, soft drinks, , candy, etc. They frequently get releases of first run movies before they are shown in the US (my son in the US was crazed that the latest Star Wars was showing here before the US release, especially since we took a picture of the opening credits and sent it to him.)

If you have a chance to see one of the 3-d movies, don't miss it. Unlike the little black plastic glasses in US theaters, these are electronic headsets that provide the best 3-d I've ever seen. In fact, I was watching one 3-d movie where the wind was blowing in the movie and for a second I thought "Wow, this is amazing, I can even feel the wind!" because I forgot I was sitting outside. (I normally would be too embarrassed to report that, but two of the other people we were with experienced the same feeling!)

It's a great experience!
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire