Thread: Double L To The Rescue ..... Day 9

Default Double L To The Rescue ..... Day 9

I took off my full face mask and said to Leslie, “Nice job.”

She gently untangled the hair from the buckles of her own mask and eventually slid it up and over her head. Bright eyed and wearing a grin that’d make the Cheshire Cat envious, she said, “How cool was that?”

The “cool” event had happened about twenty minutes ago in the shallows of The Rock dive site. We were making our way back to the takeout point when I spied a turtle resting in some soft corals. Double L floated above it, taking a few shots, and then slid in front of the turtle for two more. She’s always very conscious about taking only a few shots of any sea creature so as not to stress them out. We’ve witnessed too many divers snapping photo after photo until the animal is obviously stressed. Not Leslie.

She stopped her photography, tilted sideways a little, and starred at the base of the soft coral, where the turtle was struggling. She waved me over and pointed at two of the turtle’s legs; one front and one rear. The front one had a branch of the coral wrapped around it and the rear one was wedged in some fire coral.

The turtle was stuck, unable to free himself.

At that moment, I couldn’t remember what I had read about how long a turtle could hold its breath. Just like with humans, it probably ranged a little depending on the individual animal. But also, just like humans, I knew it was indefinite.

This guy was between the proverbial rock and hard place. He was going to drown.

Unless….

To be honest, I was a little torn. It seemed nature had put this turtle in a predicament and I considered letting nature take its course. Kind of like the Prime Directive in Star Trek; don’t interfere and change the outcome. I’m sure his dead carcass would be a feast for many of the other reef inhabitants. Isn’t that the way nature worked? Keeping everything in balance? If we saved this turtle, would we be inadvertently throwing the reef out of balance?

On the other hand, though, man has done enough damage to the reef, that maybe we should help out when an opportunity is presented. In a small way, a kind of giving something back.

To coin a phrase, I was paralyzed with analysis. I decided to take the coward’s way out and wait a few more moments to see if the turtle freed itself. If not, I’d have to rethink.

What would Captain Kirk do?

Well, while I ran Star Trek scenarios through my brain, Leslie summoned her Stephanie Plum call-to-action attitude and reached over, gently moving the branch of the soft coral that snagged the turtle’s leg. And that’s all it took. The little dude sprung loose and bolted skyward. Les and I hovered above the coral and watched as it floated on the surface with its neck outstretched. After a few moments, I gave Double L an underwater high-five and we continued on our way.

Now, standing in the shallows after our dive, I figured Mother Nature owed us one. Or maybe the other way around. I’m not really sure; I’m not good with Mother nature.

“I think you deserve a burger and fries for lunch,” I said to Les.

“Absolutely,” she said.

Dive on Friends.

Dave & Leslie.

move over Dave, I've got a new Hero...ine LL

You did the right thing saving the turtle guys...nice work!

MHO.
    Had you not been there at that time, nature would take it's course. Good or bad, no one knows. Maybe there was a reason you WERE there, at that time, at that one small spot in that big ocean. Maybe, just maybe, that is exactly what was supposed to happen.

Smack

Thanks, folks.

And Smack -- don't get me thinking too deep, bro...... Keep it at the Star Trek level, or I'll go crazy!!

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Goodwin View Post
    Thanks, folks.

And Smack -- don't get me thinking too deep, bro...... Keep it at the Star Trek level, or I'll go crazy!!

Dave.
    In my defense, I had a beer in one hand while I was typing. Dive Safe!

Smack

It was her destiny to save the turtle. I felt it in the force!

Oh, damn, wrong “Star ——” movie reference.

Still, a way cool thing. I think it helps balance any bad karma she might have. (Or maybe earn a few credits toward balancing out any of your bad karma, she probably hasn’t got any.)

Cheers!

DS -- Bad Karma flows through my veins......

My two favorite bumper stickers;

1-Karma, it’s everywhere you’re going to be

2- Karma, it’s only a B*%$# if you were