Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you identify this restaurant

Default can you identify this restaurant

Hello, I hope this question won't be annoyingly vague. We are going to be visiting Bonaire again for the first time since 2011. I recall during past visits driving in an otherwise undeveloped area with a lot of dense green vegetation by a large single story free standing building (beige or white??) with a large outdoor patio. This was not an area near Kraelendjik or Rincon. The building cum patio appeared to be a restaurant or perhaps event hosting place very popular with local Bonaireans. We'd pass it on the weekends and lots of folks (as many as 100 or more) seemed to be having a wonderful party or perhaps many locals were enjoying a favorite eating establishment. I was too shy to stop and check it out, but I wonder if anyone has a clue what I might be referring to. If it was a public restaurant and not a private party site, I'd like to be braver on this visit and check it out. We have been to the outdoor restaurant site at Lac Bay, and this is not that. We've also been to the park with outdoor food stands that is nearby to the spit of land with all the conch shells, and it's not that either, but we might have passed it driving to or from either of those two places. I'm sorry I can't be clearer about the location, but a mystery can be fun, right?

oohhh I recall such a location from our trip in 2009, it was on the lefthandside of the road past the Stadium on the way to Lac Bay, my wife is not such a party animal and we also never stopped by. I can't remember the name of the place either.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I love a mystery, too. My guess isn't beige and it isn't white (it's green) but it's an outdoor patio in a (sort of) green area with crowds of locals, off the regular path, but near the road to Lac Cai.

Could it be Maiky Snack? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...k_Bonaire.html

It's still there and it's still excellent, but the big sign leading you there is gone. Use the link to find it.

I bet this is it. And I remember folks raving about Maiky Snack on BT years ago, but I never put 2 and 2 together. So who's going to be on Bonaire the week of 4/20-27 and wants to join us there?

larrygross is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Another possibility is El Chaparral, on the road after the ballfield - Sonrisa - maybe halfway between it and the restaurant out there. I stopped once late afternoon and it was pleasant, but nearly empty. The road there fills up with parked cars at night.

Well, I've been studying the photos of both Maiky Snack and El Chaparral and neither looks exactly like what I remember. I remember the place I'm thinking of being out in the middle of nowhere and the road being shaded. I don't remember a bright color on the outside road facing part. I hope I happen upon it on our upcoming trip. I will post if I do.

Arrow hmm yes Maiky Snack is way out in the sticks, and purely a Snack/lunch location

and is only open till 15:00

El Chaparral is in a built up area.

I've looked on Goggle maps and tried to revive my grey matter......

I seem to recall it was between the Baseball stadium and the turn off to Lac Cai/ Mangroves, all I could see on the Map was this.....(though no Tags as a local Music/eatery = )

Zoomed out view for ref. ....

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm glad I'm not the only one straining my grey matter. (Hopefully we'll live longer as a result.) . Well, if anyone finds this place, please let us know. Moderators, please don't close this post until May. If I figure it out on my April trip, I'll definitely post about it.

It might have been Don Paranda, a popular place a few years back for parties. I don't think it's operating right now, but there is still a sign on the road to Lac.

Susan, that name rings a bell. You say it was a party place. Does that mean it was an event venue so it wouldn't have been a restaurant option for tourists, anyway? (That will make me feel better about not having been brave enough to stop by; I'll conclude I just have good instincts