Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you recommend something to meet our preferences

Default can you recommend something to meet our preferences

Hello fellow Bonaire fans,

We are snorkelers planning our third trip to Bonaire, but we haven't visited in several years. In the past we have stayed in a studio unit at the Chateau Belafonte. From their website I'm not sure there's availability for our dates and also it might be fun to try something else, so I thought I'd see what you folks might recommend. We would like to be directly on the water. Spick and span cleanliness is high on our list. In the past when I've seen some of the older, larger places it's seemed like their age makes a pristine condition pretty challenging to obtain. We are willing to pay extra for a very lovely atmosphere. Safety is also a high priority, and we're a little intimidated by what seems to be increased crime since our last visit. One possibility I've thought about is the Black Durgon, because I've heard great things about the reef just off their beach and we've never had access to it. I'm wondering if it will be too bare bones for us or worth it for the reef access. Also, we've liked the Belafonte location because that end of the island seems to be drier and less mosquitoey.

Any ideas will be most appreciated.

You might try https://bonairebeachcombervillas.com/ Walther & Nicole are lovely hosts. Have fun on your trip.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I will second Beachcomber. We stayed there routinely when Tim&Leanne where the owners, and can't imagine that it has changed for the worse since the change in ownership. A wonderful place.

We also stayed at Black Durgon years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But pristine... clean, but not what I'd call pristine. Think Alamo Plaza motels from the 60's. It does have the only access to Small Wall other than boat or the surrounding private residences (or a looonnngg swim - maybe ok for snorkeling, I won't do it again in dive gear). To me, doesn't sound like it is for you. But I could, and did, spend hours sitting on Small Wall, so there is that.

Wherever you land, have fun. We'll be there in July.
    Brad Ford

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdivingBel View Post
    You might try https://bonairebeachcombervillas.com/ Walther & Nicole are lovely hosts. Have fun on your trip.
    Appreciate this recommendation. Looks lovely.

Thanks. This detail is very helpful. I think you are correct about our comfort level. Any tips on how we might be able to arrange for a boat that would take us to snorkel in that area? Thanks again.

JimMc is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Although the Black Durgon has incredible "Old Caribbean Charm" I totally agree with Brad. The courtyard, there, is just a beautiful place to hang out, etc. Although there is no swimming pool, etc. The world's largest pool is steps away.
    Pachi Jim

Sadly, beach comber villas are booked. We are looking for availability for April 20 - 27. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Den Laman, maybe? We stayed there when it was nearly new, and it was as near to pristine then as you're likely to find on Bon. Haven't been back, but we like to move around. (Until BCV became our home-on-Bonaire.)

Never stayed at Bel Mar, but friends have turned in good reports, and it is south.

April availability this late might be a bit of a problem.
    Brad Ford

Just occurred to me:

We once took a look at one of the Piet Boon houses on the south shore.

Truly magnificent, and I would call them "pristine".

May be too big for your group, and take $$$$.
    Brad Ford

We've stayed at the Divi Flamingo for the past 19 years now and Love It... I think that Divi Dive is the best on Bonaire with Serge and they have a fantastic team.