Thread: It's A Big Ocean ....... Day 3

Default It's A Big Ocean ....... Day 3

I laughed so hard my mask nearly flooded. And when you’re diving with a full face mask, that’s a lot of laughing.

Leslie (Double L) and I were in 15-20 feet of water, just beyond the pier at Den Leman. Typically, we blow the last few hundred PSI of our tanks in the shallows looking at the small critters and hoping something big swims by.

As I laughed, I thought about what my new friend, the Billy-Bob Impersonator said, looking out the Boeing window as we hung in the sky somewhere between Dominica and Bonaire at 34,000 feet.

“It’s a big ocean out there,” he had said.

Well, at this particular moment, the moment that I was busting a gut laughing, Double L might beg to differ. Or more precisely, why it felt so small right then.

She had her head buried in the coral, feet straight up, watching a couple of blennies dance around a sponge. From out of nowhere, six divers blasted right through her space. She never saw them coming. But I did. I was about twenty feet away from her and saw the idiot divers approaching. I knew an encounter was inevitable. But what could I do?

Les pulled her hear up, looked around, and watched the all six divers cruise past her, a couple close enough that they brushed her fins. I burst into laughter when I saw her “What the F” look through the mask lens.

Obviously, she was blocking the only path those divers had in the big, wide, open ocean.

I’ve seen it before and I don’t understand it. Billy-Bob was right – it’s a big ocean. So why do people have to run right up on others. I always give plenty of room to other divers I encounter. It’s a basic courtesy, as well as a safety measure. An inexperienced diver may not be as cool and collected as Les was when that many divers converged upon them. A buffer zone is the best policy.

Les shrugged it off, shook her head, and went back to the blennies. I watched the divers fumble their way to the ladder area, kicking up sand as they went, which told me something about them and probably why this happened.

Our first dive today was at Aquarius. It’s an easy entry, but a healthy snorkel to the reef. It was well worth it, though. Plenty of hard and soft corals. We came across one, fee-swimming squid, which was unusual. Usually we seem then in groups, but this dude was all alone, and in some kind of hurry. No chance of a picture.

We did the north end of Bari this afternoon. Always a good choice, especially since its right outside our doorstep. Les found three crinoids, one of her favorite creatures.

Water temperature is holding at 78-79 degrees. Glad I didn’t buy a thicker wetsuit based on the “advice” of my on-island friends. I need to learn not to trust people!

A strange thing happened on our Bari Reef dive. On our way up the reef, two other divers passed us. Not strange in itself, but they waved at us. And not just a “Hey, we’re passing you” type of waver, but, rather, an enthusiastic wave, as if they knew us and wanted us to wave back. I resisted, merely on principle.

But then they passed us again as we were heading back to the take our point. They waved again, and I could swear, with even more gusto then the first time.

At that point, I had no option. I waved back. After all, I’m not a complete curmudgeon.

“Everyone just wants to know us,” Les said later. “And be around us.” Sometimes I have difficulty knowing if she’s pulling my chain or not. This was one of those times. “If you were them, wouldn’t you want to know us?”

Then I knew and said, “Absolutely.”

Dive on Friends.

Dave & Leslie.

I’m enjoying your travellog as always. And I’m with you on the big ocean thing. Give folks space under water!

Looking forward to the next installment.....

Dave, I told them to wave at you! Now you have a mystery to solve!

JimMc is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Smack, he just doesn't get it sometimes. LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great report, as always, Dave.
    Pachi Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimMc View Post
    Smack, he just doesn't get it sometimes. LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great report, as always, Dave.
    Jimbo, neither do I sometimes. I had to look up curmudgeon. After all, I are a mekanic, not an English genius.

wait till you've published your Book, then everyone will be waving at you and wanting an autograph

Well, our internet in the condo is back, so more fun is coming. it was out for a couple of days.

Jim & Smack -- miss you guys. Need to have a reunion on-island soon!

Roy -- thanks for the shout-out. BTW, sorry to disappoint, but remember, Les and I are tweakers (two-weekers). Won't be any posts that third week you spoke of earlier.

Dave.

I was curious about the "somewhere between Dominica and Bonaire". Was that just a general reference, or was it a leg of your flight, did you spend some vaca there before continuing on to Bon.
    Bonaire is our "go to" but always looking to get back to Dominica for longer than one day off a cruise ship, maybe combine it with a Bon trip sometime if flights work out.

Rayandpam,

Delta's flight path from Atlanta that day took us over Dominica en-route to Bonaire. Between Dominica and Bonaire is strictly ocean.... and a lot of it!

Dave.