Thread: Change in length of initial sedula for Americans

Default Change in length of initial sedula for Americans

Hi everyone,

When Ian and I moved to Bonaire, we were given a 5 year sedula (residence permit card) that we only have to renew in 5 years. Nationalities other than Dutch and American were given a one year sedula.

A friend from California recently moved here and was just given a sedula that expires this year, in November 2019. (She received it in late February of 2019.) We thought there was a mistake, since she is an American. She contacted the immigration office and was told that Americans will only receive a one year sedula now, like other nationalities. And, the date of the sedula is based on when she applied for residency (in November 2018) not when she received her sedula.

Years ago, Americans had to renew their sedula every year, then it changed to every 5 years. It appears it is every year now.

Just wanted to let folks know in case they are currently in the process.
    Kate Butler
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

What is exactly the process now for US applicants? Is it 5 times annual sedula reapplication required before one gets a permanent one? Is there any explanation why there was a change?

Has anyone experienced delay with initial approval for temporary residence permit since recently?
    Last edited by gelonik; 06-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gelonik View Post
    What is exactly the process now for US applicants? Is it 5 times annual sedula reapplication required before one gets a permanent one? Is there any explanation why there was a change?

Hi, we on the island are wondering this right now too. The change to the one year sedula is recent, so no one I know has come up to the one year mark yet. Our hope is that it is not a complete reapplication, that within 90 days of the one year, the person just goes to the immigration office and gets the new sedula. But we don't know if that's so, and we don't know if that the renewal will also be for a year, or longer. As soon as someone I know goes through this process, I'll post something.
    All the best,
    Last edited by ModRoy; 06-11-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Kate Butler
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Hi Kate,
    Thank you for the information on shipping. I wasnít aware that we would be charged 8% on our shipped items if we didnít have a sedula. Also you said that if we had new items in there they would charge for them but not the old ones? How would they know if we take tags etc off the items? Also we were told we would get a sedula for life if your Dutch or American. We are planning a trip to Bonaire the first two weeks of August and meeting with Agnes Joosten so we will ask of the change when we speak to her. Would love to meet up with you when weíre on the island. If you can please let me know and Iíll give you my email.

As a first time new resident relocating to Bonaire you need to prove that whatever you import has been owned by you for at least a year prior to avoid the 8% import tax. This is particularly enforced on vehicles and not so much on household goods. You need to hire a licensed company like Rocargo to file paperwork with Duane (customs) and the bill of laden has to be specific and inspected. Receipts for electronics, furniture, and motor vehicles will be helpful. Keep your value estimates realistic, the customs inspectors are not clueless. I believe that the import tax exemption is only good for your initial moving shipment(s). Once you relocate here ANYTHING imported is subject to an 8% import duty on the cost of the goods PLUS shipping, including boats. Fossil fueled motor Vehicles (not boats) are taxed at 25%, 100% electric vehicles are taxed at 0%. Furniture, clothing, electronics, etc are 8%. Others may know better, but I think I have this correctly outlined.

a cedula for life does not exist -depending on your status you renew yearly or as a permanent resident it is every 5 years.

Thanks Chris this has been really helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to break all this down for me.

Hi Petri I figured that was too good to be true. Hopefully we can get a five year unless they go back to the every year. Do you know what is involved with a renewal? Hopefully not nearly as much as first time residency.

no- just a visit to immigration -the Bonairian wait- pay the fee- picture - done--- might want to check the difference between temporary residence and permanent cedula.