Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change in length of initial sedula for Americans

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Netta View Post
    Hi Kate - Steve and I will be on the island in March and a large focus of our trip will be on figuring out what he needs to do to establish a location of his LLC in Bonaire. Part of that of course will be understanding the process of obtaining and maintaining a sedula. Do you have any additional insight now that your California friend has reached the end of her one year approval?
    Thanks
    Netta
    Hi Netta,
    When my friend applied originally, it was as a person who is going to work on Bonaire with her own company. They gave her a one year sedula. When she went to renew it, she applied as a person of “independent means,” which means she is not relying on Bonaire income to live here. To do this she had to show off island income in an amount that would support her, which is currently $22,000 per year per person. They accepted her renewal and although she has not received her new paperwork yet, she expects it to be for five years. So it sounds like it is one year if you plan to work on the island or longer if you have independent income from another source.
    All the best,
    Kate
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Kate.. have you heard, or has anyone heard, what US citizens with existing 5year Sedulas will get after their 5years expires? Of course, this can certainly change at any point.

ParrotHead -

If you already have a 5 year sedula, you just need to go to the Bevolking with your expiring sedula, pay a small fee (about $10) and that's ti. They will give you a new sedula. You don't need to bring any other paperwork, just your current sedula. It is also possible to make an appointment with them to do this, which will save you from waiting in line.

Good luck!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Quote Originally Posted by FlaParrotHead View Post
    Kate.. have you heard, or has anyone heard, what US citizens with existing 5year Sedulas will get after their 5years expires? Of course, this can certainly change at any point.

Reply received via Email from Petri Hausmann
    That I don't know . My sister just renewed her 3rd for another 5 years and for me after 30 years 5 years always. - Might be if now 1 year extension is applied only after the 1st 5 year. ??? good question. go to the government website?
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hi everyone,

I've gotten the update from my friend who works on the island who got the one year sedula (residency) last year. At that time she indicated to immigration that she was working on the island and had a savings account she could draw from. She has just renewed at the end of the one year sedula and now gotten a five year one. The difference? She now has a pension, and provided immigration with a pension verification letter.

Here's how it was explained to her - if you are working on the island, or withdrawing money from your savings account, IRA, etc. to pay yourself the required minimum of $22,000 per year, you will receive a one year sedula. This is because the immigration office wants to make sure your income continues (you don't lose your job or go through all your savings.)

Once you can show ongoing income, such as a pension, Social Security check, etc. that is not tied to island employment or a savings account draw down, you can receive your 5 year sedula.

Hope this helps,
    Kate
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire