Thread: Bonaire Renewable Power Share?

Post Bonaire Renewable Power Share?

From the Bonaire Reporter:

"Bonaire set a goal of 100% renewablepower in 2004 after a fire destroyedWEB’s main diesel generator on the islandin 2004."

Does anyone know what percentage of power demand Bonaire currently satisfies with renewable sources?

I believe wind power provides about 40% of the island's needs. This does not take into account solar.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I have also heard the 40% number. I think it came from ContourGlobal, the power company. I wonder why they don't double the number of turbines to 24. Wouldn't that provide 80%?

I do believe that is already being considered. I'm sure finding the necessary funding is a big part of when this might happen.

I also have heard that ‘they’ are looking at ways to increase the renewable part of the electricity supply on the Island. I am sure Susan is correct, it is finding the large amount of upfront capital costs that is partially to blame for no new Wind Power in some time. I am not sure were Bonaire rates in the % of renewable power use, I think I will spend some Google time and some watts, looking for the answer. But, we do have a solar system on the roof, and a portable system from Goal-Zero that can power the iPad for a few hours. So I don't feel too bad.
    S&E Tanton