Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Email From Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire

As always, follow the money and you will find the answers.
    Cynical but true.

One can hope that Karl’s and the ‘powers that be’ do really adhere to proper environmental protection methods during the construction and operation of their new restraurant/bar. Not just play lip service, as often is done. One other worry would be the other seaside restraurant/bar owners coming forward with the argument, ‘if Karls’s can do it, why not us?’

As a rough comparison we tried to build a new summer lake side home on Kootenay Lake in BC Canada a few years back There the rules changed and our plans were denied a permit because our 100% land based deck was closer than 15m. (50 ft) to the waters edge. We had planned to match the distance the current deck was set back, that was some 7 m. Thats not In The Water in a National Park that is 15 m back from the edge of the water on private land. I am no expert, but on fresh water lakes the 15m Riparian Zone is considered to be a very important part of the Lake’s overall ecosystem. I am not sure how that applies, or compares, to Saltwater/Reef ecosystems.
    S&E Tanton

Pretty clear to me (especially after I read the full position paper linked in the article) that Stinapa has capitulated. I wonder if that was in exchange for the huge park fee increase?

I am new to this thread. It is not clear to me , has karel's secured a permit for a new pier and restaurant?

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by sorobonanne View Post
    I am new to this thread. It is not clear to me , has karel's secured a permit for a new pier and restaurant?
    Yes. See page 7 in the Jan 21st issue of The Bonaire Reporter.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

sorobananne, he was granted a permit to build a pier and restaurant on the existing pilings next to the existing pier. No new pilings are in the permit. There has never been an overwater kitchen facility on Bonaire. How many out there think it's possible to plumb and maintain an overwater commercial kitchen with no environment impact?

Quote Originally Posted by wwguy View Post
    Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by randl View Post
    sorobananne, he was granted a permit to build a pier and restaurant on the existing pilings next to the existing pier. No new pilings are in the permit. There has never been an overwater kitchen facility on Bonaire. How many out there think it's possible to plumb and maintain an overwater commercial kitchen with no environment impact?
    Not me !!! It will be a problem. I think it is just fine the way it is. But I do not live on Bonaire so I do not have any say.