Thread: Tax Advisors for Canadians Planning Retirement in Bonaire

agd is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Tax Advisors for Canadians Planning Retirement in Bonaire

We bought an apartment in Bonaire last year and we are enjoying our visits to the island. In October 2020 I will retire and we hope to establish residency thereafter.

Bruce Zavon has been referred to as a good tax advisor for US expats moving here. Can anyone suggest someone who can provide similar advice and services for Canadians?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

I would suggest starting with Bruce Zavon, if he cant help you, he will probably know someone who can.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

Thanks for that suggestion, Bob.

I emailed Bruce and got a fast and helpful reply. Unfortunately, he does not claim to be an expert on Canadian tax law and did not have a local recommendation. But I am impressed with his responsiveness and it may work out that co-ordinating through an expert in Canada, he could be the go to at this end.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm Canadian (near Ottawa) and new to this site.
    We stopped in Bonaire about one and a half years ago, on a cruise, then returned for a week mid December 2018.
    We're heading back in May 2019 for a week.

We've fallen in love with the place and are dreaming of buying a small condo or home there.

Were you able to find a good source for guidance on moving to Bonaire?
    I'm at the beginning of researching about the best way to buy and keeping taxes to an absolute minimum, or maybe just renting long term.
    Would appreciate any info you might offer about buying something and spending maybe 5 months a year on the island!
    Thanks,

John

Hi John

We are part way through a possible transition after acquiring an apartment here and bringing a car to Bonaire, but we have not established residency which may or not occur in future. I do not consider myself an expert and cannot give a tight and fast summary of all the processes so what I would advise is to spend some time searching and reviewing this forum for all the helpful posts others have provided. After doing that, if there are any specific questions you may have, you will almost certainly get helpful responses. But they probably belong in other threads.

Good luck in your aspirations!

Andy

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hi John,
    Most of the ex-pats on here are really helpful with answers to questions about buying and moving to Bonaire and alot of your questions may already have answers on the moving to Bonaire section. Ask a few specific questions and you'll get some great help.

All the best,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Thank you Kate!

Thanks Andy!

Thanks Bob!