Thread: Service Dogs

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Service Dogs

Has any BTer traveled to and from Bonaire accompanied by a certified service dog and if so, what were the requirements for entering Bonaire and the requirements for returning to the U.S. What about people who adopted a dog on Bonaire, what were the requirements to bring it back into the States?

Hi Mark,

Although I'm certainly not the definitive authority on this, I would imagine that service dogs would be subject to the same procedures as any animals arriving on Bonaire. You can view more information here: https://www.infobonaire.com/getting-...with-your-pet/

I also recommend that you get in contact with one of Bonaire's vets as well, as they are normally up-to-speed on any recent changes in policy.

Can't answer to requirements going back into the States, but perhaps the Shelter can assist you with that.

Thanks Susan. I had already gone to your infobonaire site and downloaded the international health form. Great suggestion on contacting a vet on Bonaire as well as the shelter. One of my daughters pointed me to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture site for traveling with pets: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/ Not the easiest site to navigate but it appears that because Bonaire is considered part of The Netherlands, it is not an issue coming back to the States as long as the dog has not been in contact with farm animals (because of the fear of bringing back foot and mouth disease).

Thanks again.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirector View Post
    Thanks Susan. I had already gone to your infobonaire site and downloaded the international health form. Great suggestion on contacting a vet on Bonaire as well as the shelter. One of my daughters pointed me to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture site for traveling with pets: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/ Not the easiest site to navigate but it appears that because Bonaire is considered part of The Netherlands, it is not an issue coming back to the States as long as the dog has not been in contact with farm animals (because of the fear of bringing back foot and mouth disease).

Thanks again.
    Hi MArk,
    When i look at the link you provided. Bonaire is not on the exemption list of counties that are declared free of foot-and-mouth disease. It does mention The Netherlands, but but I'm not 100% sure that includes, in this case, Bonaire too.

Because if you take this option:
    Take your pet from the United States to a foreign country (Export)

Bonaire is separetely mentioned

Thank you Smits. Saw that too that Bonaire was on the "traveling to" countries but not the "traveling from". Will follow up with Dept. of Agriculture.

Mark